Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Some random and recent macros
Posted By: Philoslothical, 06-09-2012, 08:28 AM

I've been meaning to share some of these, so I think I'll just dump them in one thread here. They were all shot with extension tubes, some with a ring flash, some with a diffused conventional flash. They were also all shot just around the house here.

Iris detail.

Tiger beetle.

Gypsy moth caterpillar.

Baby crab spider (~2mm body length).

Zelus luridus, a type of assassin bug.

Goat's beard seed, from above.

Inside a poppy flower.

Jumping spider drinking a small bee.

Black ant on a tree trunk.

And my favourite, a green metallic bee on garlic mustard flowers.

That's it for now. Hope I didn't overdo it.
Views: 1,208
06-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing these are all very good.

06-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Same difficulties here. Keeping pockets lint free so there's somewhere to stick the extra tube is an ongoing issue for me. I get frustrated with handheld macro, too, and if I can't shake it off, I usually switch to my 70-300 and go looking for birds or butterflies for awhile. Wind is my nemesis, even a slight breeze makes things at 1:1 bob around til I go nuts.

If you get a chance to pick up a Vivitar AT-22 set, or another one with aperture linkage, you'd probably find things easier. I wonder if at the least the pin could be repaired on your K mount set. Don't all three sections have a pin, so you could just use them in a different order?
Don't get me started on the wind. I've learned to take shots between breezes, but I don't always have the time or patience for this. The biggest problem I have is that I seem to focus too deep - that is if I'm focusing on a flower I rarely get the top in focus, and I find that having out of focus regions in the near sections of the image much more disturbing than having the far regions out of focus.

I'd love to have A linked extension tubes, but it may be cheaper to buy a Tak/K/M 100/4 macro lens (they run about $100). The K-mount tubes I have are a cheap version - I got them second hand - so I don't think it is worth repairing them. They are also that cheaply painted black aluminum type - and every time you unscrew them to change lengths you run the risk of black paint flecks. A further note - the tubes come as 5 pieces - a K-mount part, 3 tubes segments of various length - and then the part that mates to the lens. It is that part I need to fix. It isn't so bad using them with the m42 adapter, and as I have an extra one I can just leave it mounted in the tubes all the time.
06-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@MSL - PM'ed you a link. Regarding focus, I've been wanting to try a split prism screen, or maybe one of the Canon S type screens. I wonder if that would help? Probably would somewhat, as the stock screen isn't great.

Dave, thanks for commenting.
06-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Just the usual. Focus with your shoulders, shoot on the exhale. I tend to have to fight holding my breath, as it ends up making you tremble a bit before long, enough to throw off focus anyway. Forget trying to use the focus ring, just set it up so it's the magnification you want, and lean in and shoot. I still miss on a LOT of shots. Keeper rate of 1:10 is good for me.
Yep... That's my technique as well. No problem for static subjects. It's the ones that move that are a challenge. I suppose I get about 1 in 10 or so that are keepers, so maybe I'm not doing so bad. :-) Thanks for the advice. - Bobbo :-)

06-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Yep... That's my technique as well. No problem for static subjects. It's the ones that move that are a challenge. I suppose I get about 1 in 10 or so that are keepers, so maybe I'm not doing so bad. :-) Thanks for the advice. - Bobbo :-)
1 in 10 isn't a bad rate at all, not for DIY, hobble together macro in less than ideal conditions. You can bump it up a bit using a diffused or ring flash as that lets you push to smaller apertures under a wider range of lighting conditions. The only downside I find is that the subjects have a sameness to them in the way they are uniformly lit.
06-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
You can bump it up a bit using a diffused or ring flash as that lets you push to smaller apertures under a wider range of lighting conditions.
Yep... I have a ringflash & it's very useful. About the only difficulty I have with macro insect shots is when they move a lot & it's tough to nail the focus when they're on the go. But such is the nature of the beast, I guess.