Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Some random and recent macros
Lens: Pentax A 50mm f./2, tubes, ring flash Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Ontario, Canada ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Philoslothical, 06-09-2012, 08:28 AM

I've been meaning to share some of these, so I think I'll just dump them in one thread here. They were all shot with extension tubes, some with a ring flash, some with a diffused conventional flash. They were also all shot just around the house here.

Iris detail.

Tiger beetle.

Gypsy moth caterpillar.

Baby crab spider (~2mm body length).

Zelus luridus, a type of assassin bug.

Goat's beard seed, from above.

Inside a poppy flower.

Jumping spider drinking a small bee.

Black ant on a tree trunk.

And my favourite, a green metallic bee on garlic mustard flowers.

That's it for now. Hope I didn't overdo it.
Views: 1,545
06-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! Extraordinary in every way! Great detail, colour, composition and just so darned interesting!! Great work

The caterpillar is my favourite, but they all rock!
06-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Very nice.
06-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Closed Account

Wow, you have so tremendous skills! I really enjoyed the set.

06-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Wow! Extraordinary in every way! Great detail, colour, composition and just so darned interesting!! Great work

The caterpillar is my favourite, but they all rock!
What she said with an extra WOW.
06-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys are too kind. Thanks. I've been trying to make the most of the hardware I have, especially since a real macro lens is off the table until next spring.
06-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful series. The poppy and green bee are my favorites, but I'd be pleased to have taken any of 'em!

06-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series. The ant is my favorite.
06-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very cool shots! I'm starting to do some macro insect shots myself. Lots of fun. The challenge for me is getting them in focus. Those little suckers don't stay still for long. (or at all...) Any tips?
06-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. luftfluss, I'm seriously considering getting a nice size print made of that bee. I realize it's not great art, but it's one of my favourite bugs for its colour. Think it'd be nice on my wall here.

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Any tips?
Just the usual. Focus with your shoulders, shoot on the exhale. I tend to have to fight holding my breath, as it ends up making you tremble a bit before long, enough to throw off focus anyway. Forget trying to use the focus ring, just set it up so it's the magnification you want, and lean in and shoot. I still miss on a LOT of shots. Keeper rate of 1:10 is good for me.
06-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Thanks, guys. luftfluss, I'm seriously considering getting a nice size print made of that bee. I realize it's not great art, but it's one of my favourite bugs for its colour. Think it'd be nice on my wall here.
Why the heck not? It might not be "art", but it's a quality capture and looks very cool.
06-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
MSL
Pentaxian

Variety - wow
colors - wow
sharpness - wow
+wow, wow and wow

also thank you, as I was starting to wonder if I should give up on my tubes for a while, and maybe I won't just yet.
06-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@luftfluss - I think I will, nothing too extravagant, maybe an 8x10.

MSL, thanks! I'm a bit surprised at how nice the feedback I'm getting on these is. Think I needed that. Don't give up on your tubes. They're (imho) the best method short of a true macro lens (and can be used with one, too). No extra optics to degrade anything. Do you have an A type set?
06-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
MSL, thanks! I'm a bit surprised at how nice the feedback I'm getting on these is. Think I needed that. Don't give up on your tubes. They're (imho) the best method short of a true macro lens (and can be used with one, too). No extra optics to degrade anything. Do you have an A type set?
No - I have two sets but effectively one (as I'll explain). I have a K mount set, but it is missing the pin that locks the lens in place, so I don't like using it with K mount lenses. So I tend to use it with an m42 adapter, as a way of allowing quick switching between K mount lenses. I have a nice m42 set which I primarily use with a SuperTak 135/3.5, although occasionally with a SuperTak 55/2 lens. If I'm looking for close focusing, I also have a A35-105 which will do close focusing across the entire zoom range. I can get okay results with it, but I find it frustrating to constantly be changing tube lengths. I also get impatient, which isn't the right mindset for macro shooting, and so I tend to miss the focus more often than not.
06-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I can get okay results with it, but I find it frustrating to constantly be changing tube lengths. I also get impatient, which isn't the right mindset for macro shooting, and so I tend to miss the focus more often than not.
Same difficulties here. Keeping pockets lint free so there's somewhere to stick the extra tube is an ongoing issue for me. I get frustrated with handheld macro, too, and if I can't shake it off, I usually switch to my 70-300 and go looking for birds or butterflies for awhile. Wind is my nemesis, even a slight breeze makes things at 1:1 bob around til I go nuts.

If you get a chance to pick up a Vivitar AT-22 set, or another one with aperture linkage, you'd probably find things easier. I wonder if at the least the pin could be repaired on your K mount set. Don't all three sections have a pin, so you could just use them in a different order?