Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Wildfire! (many photos)
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 06-09-2012, 08:12 PM

While out fishing with my nephew and my dad, we watched a wildfire start and build steadily in the mountains.

After getting back to the house, I grabbed my pack and headed out to see if I could get closer. The roads were all shut down going towards the fire, the police only allowing people to go in to get things out of their houses. I know of some mountain trails that could get me closer, so I parked the truck, threw on my pack and started hiking. After a few miles I got up on a ridge line and had a decent view. I could have went farther, but that would have meant a few more miles and a much longer hike back and it was already getting late.

This wildfire grew very quickly

Sure wouldn't want to live there

The wildland firefighters wasted no time. There were many different aircraft including spotter planes, skycrane helicopters, Airtractors, and P-2 firebombers. It is amazing watching the spotting planes guide the big bombers in, flying through nearly zero visibility conditions in and out of canyons. Must be a very exciting job!

I wish I could have got a little closer, atleast over the next ridge. It looks like it is sizing up to be a pretty bad wildfire season because of the light snow and very little rain. Hope the wildland firefighters get this one out soon.
Views: 1,681
06-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just read a news story on the fire and it is ugly, and sounds like it is going to stay that way for a while. The need for a change in weather is obvious; what was missing from the story was any guess when this might happen.

(addendum) The story also mentions how this fire has priority for resources, and the Washington Post has a photo gallery of a number of fires that are burning.

Last edited by MSL; 06-11-2012 at 12:18 PM.