Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Buttercups and Daisy Fleabane
Lens: Pentax A 50mm f./2, tubes, ring flash Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Ontario, Canada ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Philoslothical, 06-10-2012, 07:47 PM

I was a bit inspired by @luftfluss recent thread to go and try the buttercups again. Til now, they've usually blown out badly, but I think I got a couple presentable ones this time.

I noticed the fleabane has started blooming, too. It makes a nice subject, such delicate petals.

Of course, what walk would be complete without at least a few bugs?

I don't know what it is, but it looks hungry.

I remember playing with harvesters like this one as a child. They sure have odd faces.

Oh, and unrelated, but not really warranting a thread to itself... This little lady has been waking us up every morning, middle of night, and spends much of the afternoons singing for a mate, too. It's a grey tree frog, in the downspout above one of the rain barrels, and it's been there for weeks. Noisy.

Views: 906
06-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Til now, they've usually blown out badly, but I think I got a couple presentable ones this time.
This is a great set. Quite a range of images and I like them all. Thanks for sharing.
06-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like you've finally tamed those yellow-eyed monsters, buttercups!

"Daisy Fleabane" sounds like a character out of a Disneyfied version of The Great Gatsby.

Everything came out nice and sharp. It looks like your harvestman lost a leg; I've recently come across a damselfly missing 2, and a butterfly missing an antenna. My eyes are repeatedly drawn to your first bug shot, it's a good pose and the background works very well.

Good catch on the tree frog, what a spot for a home!
06-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys.

I don't think my buttercups compare to yours, luftfluss, but thanks for motivating me to try them again. I'm on a black background kick (flash, small aperture, brief exposure), so I was trying to work that angle a bit. I am pleased with the fleabane. Weather permitting, I'll play with that again tomorrow.

I hope the treefrog doesn't lay eggs IN the rain barrel. It would complicate things, as we need that water for the veggie gardens. I wonder if it's possible to hatch them out in captivity...

Here are a couple shots I got of them last year. They learned to hang out near the back porch light, so I'd leave it on to give them a feast of moths.

Dinner, or fashion accessory?

06-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a great series. I really, really enjoyed the last ones of the frogs. They are such cute critters. Reminds me of when I was a kid and me and the rest of my brothers and sisters decided to bring a jar of tadpoles into our basement. Being kids, we promptly forgot about them being there until we heard piercing screams coming from my mother. Hundred of tiny frogs were hopping all over the place. We switched to snakes after that.
06-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think each and every shot in this series is awesome! I love the negative space around your first flowers and the frogs are over the top terrific! I love how he is looking up at you and what a great catch with the moth on his head!!
06-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A very nice color series that I enjoyed viewing.--charliezap

06-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Reminds me of when I was a kid and me and the rest of my brothers and sisters decided to bring a jar of tadpoles into our basement. Being kids, we promptly forgot about them being there until we heard piercing screams coming from my mother. Hundred of tiny frogs were hopping all over the place. We switched to snakes after that.
Hahaha, I can just picture that. I bet the snakes were a hit, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I love how he is looking up at you and what a great catch with the moth on his head!!
Thanks, Tess. They're remarkably friendly little critters, once they get used to you. They've even let me shoot macros of their eyes (which I love, those flecks of gold are gorgeous).

Edit: found the eye shot. I look forward to improving on it this summer, didn't have so much practice with macro when I took this.

I bet that most days you guys are out in the field, they're watching you from the trees. They're more common than we think.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A very nice color series that I enjoyed viewing.
Thanks! Pleased to share them, too.
06-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Thanks, guys.

I don't think my buttercups compare to yours, luftfluss, but thanks for motivating me to try them again. I'm on a black background kick (flash, small aperture, brief exposure), so I was trying to work that angle a bit. I am pleased with the fleabane. Weather permitting, I'll play with that again tomorrow.
I had the advantage, though, I was working with beautiful early evening sunlight! Have you tried direct flash on the buttercups? As crisp as they are, I miss the interesting shadows that the filaments & stamens cast on the petals.

I think your technique on the fleabane (never knew that's what those daisies were called) really brings out the delicate color, mine are always simply white with just a touch of purple.

The frog wearing the moth is hilarious! LOLfrogs!
06-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Have you tried direct flash on the buttercups? As crisp as they are, I miss the interesting shadows that the filaments & stamens cast on the petals.
That will be something to try. I was using my ring flash, which isn't necessarily ideal for flowers. The experimenting is a big part of the fun.

That tree frog pic always cracks me up, too. Can't wait til they come back to the porch light, should be anytime now.
06-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow........great shots. Well done. My yellows and reds are always blown out. Bug shots are excellent.
06-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I had the advantage, though, I was working with beautiful early evening sunlight! Have you tried direct flash on the buttercups? As crisp as they are, I miss the interesting shadows that the filaments & stamens cast on the petals.
Another option is a diffuse but direct flash. I've used the onboard flash and the high tech handkerchief with some success, although I keeping thinking about pushing to bigger light sources.