Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Oak Creek Canyon, Arizona
Lens: DA 12-24 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Oak Creek Canyon, Arizona ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: interested_observer, 06-11-2012, 07:02 AM

Driving back from Flagstaff, we took a detour through Oak Creek Canyon. We made a couple of stops, and here are a few of the better ones.

Attached Images

Views: 1,381
06-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful photos of my favorite canyon. It looks some calm and inviting, love #2, thanks for bringing back memories. The 89A is so scenic, but don't take motorhome down the road. Did you stop in at Indian Gardens for a bite?
06-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Bob, Thanks for the comments. No, we did not stop other than here and down in Sedona for some pictures. My wife was expecting us home to go out to dinner, however we found ourselves in a 15 mile backup on I17 near Oram. There was a brush fire in the center medium (1/2 mile wide and about a mile long - hence the backup while it was put out. We did not make it back in time to go out to dinner.

There is always next time.....

I really like #2 but there was so much dynamic range, that I lost the sky. Next weekend I need to go up to Flagstaff again, so I will have another chance. However, tonight - I need to pack for a trip to Detroit in the morning.....

06-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yup, OCC is damn pretty. I was there a few weeks ago, enroute from Bisbee-Sedona-Mojave-beyond. Too bad all the trees get in the way of the geology, eh?

PS: I like #2.

06-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks to be lovely canyon. Thanks for sharing the pics. Hope to see more from there when you go back.
06-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

For those who aren't familiar: Oak Creek Canyon is a woundrous gash in the Arizona landscape. It slices into the Mogollon (MUGGY-ohn) Rim made famous by Zane Gray. Top end is near Flagstaff, around 7000ft / 2100m, and drops famously to Sedona, around 4500ft / 1350m, then meanders through incredible Red Rock country to the Verde River below Cottonwood, around 3300ft / 990m. At canyon top is an overlook with many Navaho vendors of jewelry and arts; good shopping! At canyon bottom is Sedona; lotsa woo-woo! And money. The upper canyon (above Sedona) is a steep narrow gorge NOT suitable for big RVs. Heavily wooded with oaks (sure!), the creek waters numerous rocky pools and verdant gardens and groves. Away from the 2-lane highway, all is rugged wilderness. Quite spectacular, yup. Bring camera, water-wings, and a pyramid hat.
06-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good thing you detoured, looks like a lovely location.