Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fallen Leaf Lake near South Lake Tahoe
Posted By: photoleet, 06-12-2012, 09:14 PM

C&C appreciated
Views: 2,324
06-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah, ain't Fallen Leaf a beauty? And Emerald Bay, right over that high steep ridge. We'll likely swing by there on our next shopping trip to Carson City next week.

The photos: #1 does have this little horizon problem. I would cheat, use perspective control tools in PP to straighten it while keeping the foreground (or fore-water). Or I'd print it as-is, cut an angled matte, mount it with the horizon level, and pretend that I intended it that way.

On #2, I can see where the pano sections were stitched together, not smoothly enough. What pano warez did you use? And if only Tessie (the Lake Tahoe Monster) were swimming around in the lower left...
06-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yeah, ain't Fallen Leaf a beauty? And Emerald Bay, right over that high steep ridge. We'll likely swing by there on our next shopping trip to Carson City next week.

The photos: #1 does have this little horizon problem. I would cheat, use perspective control tools in PP to straighten it while keeping the foreground (or fore-water). Or I'd print it as-is, cut an angled matte, mount it with the horizon level, and pretend that I intended it that way.

On #2, I can see where the pano sections were stitched together, not smoothly enough. What pano warez did you use? And if only Tessie (the Lake Tahoe Monster) were swimming around in the lower left...
On #1, I had straight horizon ones too but for some reason I preferred this angle.

On #2, you are good to guess it's a pano. However I still don't see where they were stitched. Used Photoshop though.
06-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
On #1, I had straight horizon ones too but for some reason I preferred this angle.

On #2, you are good to guess it's a pano. However I still don't see where they were stitched. Used Photoshop though.
Yeah, the first one is so off that I assumed you did it on purpose. I'm having a tough time telling where the stitching happens too. Can you help me find the artifacts Rico?

06-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Brings back fond memories. :-) Thanks for posting #2.
06-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I'm having a tough time telling where the stitching happens too. Can you help me find the artifacts Rico?
I'm viewing this on my laptop LCD screen. Your display may vary. It looks to me like 3 images stitched together. Look at the sky 1/3 of the way in from either side -- the tones don't match smoothly. I don't get this effect with AutoStitch (free). I got that (and worse) when I used Canon's PhotoStitch (bundled), and ended up doing a lot of tedious PP smoothing.
06-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'm viewing this on my laptop LCD screen. Your display may vary. It looks to me like 3 images stitched together. Look at the sky 1/3 of the way in from either side -- the tones don't match smoothly. I don't get this effect with AutoStitch (free). I got that (and worse) when I used Canon's PhotoStitch (bundled), and ended up doing a lot of tedious PP smoothing.
It's two images though. But that effect is probably from using a polarizer at 10mm.

06-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really beautiful area. I like the perspective in the first one. I have to admit that I didn't see the stitching either and figured it was the polarizer. I get that effect all the time if I'm not careful with the angle.