Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More WIldflower
Lens: Tamron 90 2.8 macro Camera: K20D Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario, Canada 
Posted By: normhead, 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM

I took the dogs down to the swimming hole. The best place to exercise them when it's hot.

I took some pictures while throwing the balls out into the river. It helps to have something to do while they swim.

These last ones are quite enlarged. I thought they were little white balls, it turns out they are each a tiny little flower. Magnification explains everything.

Views: 634
06-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love that third photo,Norman. that "hairy" green between the petals is marvellous and you captured it perfectly. I really envy the very sharp focus of the last photo, especially give the fact othat you had to blow it it considerably - is it a wonderful shot! I assume there were more of these flower heads and that you were able to isolate this one. You bokeh is super, too.
06-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I never tire of looking at the pictures you and Tess post Norm. Lovely set of flowers and you even managed to include the dog's ball in the first one.
06-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I assume there were more of these flower heads and that you were able to isolate this one. You bokeh is super, too.
These ones tend to grow one every once and a while, not uncommon but often one by itself among other weeds or lawn. I generally wander around looking for the best bokeh opportunities, which often involves getting down on hands and knees and seeing if you can get that little patch of shade in behind the flower so it will stand out. Then you have to get exposure correctly, which for me , since the advent of digital has meant shooting and chimping and checking the histogram. I used to see the pros using polaroid backs to check a picture before finalizing it. Now everyone can do it. If you have to go one way or the other, shadow looks more natural than blown high-lights. Especially in bokeh.

QuoteQuote:
include the dog's ball in the first one.
Hey, we have standards, a flower with an insect somewhere in the frame is better than one without.. a picture of a dog chasing a ball is better with the ball in it. We often end up with large numbers of images virtually identical with not much for criteria to help select one as the one to keep. You start inventing rules.

Did you like our new pink tennis ball? ( I used to play tennis a couple times a week. I don't mind paying for new balls... but for my dogs? The relatively isolated life in Whitney is starting to affect me. I still hold the new balls up over my head when I take them out of the can. Instead of the guy I'm playing against seeing the new balls, it's the salivating border collies.)

Last edited by normhead; 06-15-2012 at 07:25 AM.