Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Country Road Encounter
Posted By: Bob Harris, 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM

We were traveling on a lonely country road and came upon a small group of cows that acted like they owned the road and didn't appreciate us being on their property either.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 2,130
06-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder how many McDoubles are there on the hoof Bob?--charliezap

06-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Free range hamburger. The little guy in the second shot sure has an attitude problem. Acts like he owns the road and is letting you know it.
Susan, with the price of beef now, maybe he does own the road. He sure did bellow at us, maybe we were getting too close to Mom.
06-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I wonder how many McDoubles are there on the hoof Bob?--charliezap
Charlie, you can have the burgers, I will take the primerib and ribeyes, maybe a few T bones too.
06-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What a cool catch, buddy.

Jer
I think there is always something interesting to see when we get away from it all, thanks Jer.

06-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
love that lil fella (or gal), seems to be sounding out pentax.........love the bovine road block bob... dave m
That was funny too Dave, it was like he was a traffic cop. He must of stood there and looked at us for 2 or 3 minutes before moving to the side.
06-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
No where near roads that need to be shared with cattle. Sure, your title is less meaty, but I've got no beef with it. (see what happens when you get me started)
Yeah I guess you don't have much of a cattle problem roaming the streets of Toronto.
06-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Nope, it was just common knowledge where I grew up.........Cliff
Cliff, I grew up in Victorville, as you know we didn't have that type of problem, especially on Route 66.

06-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rogue "toll collecting" cattle are always a great pic. When you are on the road enough you'll see anything. Three years ago we came on a road in Yellowstone blocked by Buffalo. One guy in a little car thought they would move if he drove towards them, one turned and stared at him as if to start charging. The guy probably had to change his pants after he got through. It was hilarious.
06-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Rogue "toll collecting" cattle are always a great pic. When you are on the road enough you'll see anything. Three years ago we came on a road in Yellowstone blocked by Buffalo. One guy in a little car thought they would move if he drove towards them, one turned and stared at him as if to start charging. The guy probably had to change his pants after he got through. It was hilarious.
Yeah Tom, you really can't trust or anticipate what one of these guys might do. We have been up there several times, and when one of them comes right up to your window and stares at you, it makes you feel a little insecure. We are going to visit Yellowstone again this year, I will see if I can get a pic of them directing traffic to a complete stop.
06-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Oh, it's not exactly new. We've had the house here for 10 years, been coming here for over 30 years (family nearby). The Bisbee house was just an ephemeral abode.
Rico, I have been in limbo many times but never visited a place called Limbo, CA
06-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Yeah Tom, you really can't trust or anticipate what one of these guys might do. We have been up there several times, and when one of them comes right up to your window and stares at you, it makes you feel a little insecure. We are going to visit Yellowstone again this year, I will see if I can get a pic of them directing traffic to a complete stop.
I was impressed as to how smart they are, walking along the berm of the roads to get to other places, saw a lot of that.
06-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Rico, I have been in limbo many times but never visited a place called Limbo, CA
It's somewhere south of Paradise.

Anyway, cattle in the road are enough of a problem, bison certainly more so. I sometimes pulled guard duty at the central ammo dump at Ft Riley Kansas. Said bunkers were located inside the 1-mile-plus-diameter "buffalo compound" on Custer Hill. Troops patrolling there in jeeps were sometimes chased by the resident alpha male. Fun fun fun. No, shooting the bison is not permitted. Run run run.

Further north, caribou don't usually block the road, but herds of mountain goats may stop traffic. Sometimes a moose walks up to you on the roadside. A moose is taller than a car, eye-level with a Greyhound driver, and may be excited. And me mate tells of driving into a valley east of Anchorage Alaska where the highway was covered with... porcupines. Thousands of porkies. I prefer range cattle.
06-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It's somewhere south of Paradise.

Anyway, cattle in the road are enough of a problem, bison certainly more so. I sometimes pulled guard duty at the central ammo dump at Ft Riley Kansas. Said bunkers were located inside the 1-mile-plus-diameter "buffalo compound" on Custer Hill. Troops patrolling there in jeeps were sometimes chased by the resident alpha male. Fun fun fun. No, shooting the bison is not permitted. Run run run.

Further north, caribou don't usually block the road, but herds of mountain goats may stop traffic. Sometimes a moose walks up to you on the roadside. A moose is taller than a car, eye-level with a Greyhound driver, and may be excited. And me mate tells of driving into a valley east of Anchorage Alaska where the highway was covered with... porcupines. Thousands of porkies. I prefer range cattle.
From your posts in the past I will say you have lived an interesting life for sure. We actually camped in Junction City, KS which is near Ft. Riley if I remember correctly and would have loved to see the Porkies roaming the range in AK, what a sight that must of been. Thanks for contributing to the thread. Bob
06-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

From your posts in the past I will say you have lived an interesting life for sure.
I believe that "May you live in interesting times" is an old Chinese curse.

QuoteQuote:
We actually camped in Junction City, KS which is near Ft. Riley if I remember correctly and would have loved to see the Porkies roaming the range in AK, what a sight that must of been.
Porcupine Valley is certainly no place to speed through at night. I have another porky story, but I'll save that till you post pix from Luning Nevada (between Hawthorn and Tonopah).

Ah, Junction City: Was a camera store in that off-post town. Many used cameras there, as troops tended to leave gear behind. That's where I bought my Olympus Pen-FT and lenses and bellows, Yashicamat 124G and Electro 35, Canon Dial-35 and Demi EE17, 9x12 Graflex, other fun stuff. (See, I was a cheap bastard back then too.)

Pretty location. Rotten town. Maybe it's improved over the past 4 decades. I haven't been back. But... we have a plan. Depending on finances and Mexican events, we may buy another housecar in a few months, smaller than your highway dreadnought, bigger than a microbus. If so, we plan a long slow tour that includes going to Independence Missouri and rolling west on the Oregon Trail. That will take us through Junction City and the Flint Hills region. We'll see...
06-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In our part of the world, it is not uncommon to have stock on the open road. Double lines (yellow or white) are also commonly used to indicate a no-passing zone such as approaching a crest. So far soo good. What puzzles me is why do the double lines stop right at the beast? Pass me if you dare.