Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Old Fall River Road (RMNP)
Lens: Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Rocky Mountain National Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 06-16-2012, 04:27 PM

I took a bike ride up to Rocky Mountain National Park today and rode Old Fall River Road up to the top of the pass. This is a one way road that used to be the original road going over the pass, up until Trail Ridge Road was constructed. Like the name implies, there are falls along the road and the scenery is breathtaking. It rained, hailed and snowed on the way up. It was a great ride!

I shot these photos with my K20D and Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 lens. The air wasn't as crisp/clear as it usually is up here because of the large wildfire in the area.

The craters in these two mountains were producing clouds. The clouds got to be pretty large after a while.

Views: 1,163
06-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful country.
06-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Our favorite drive in the park. Our truck was pretty much maxed out on length for the road and we had to back up once to make one of the turns but it was indeed beautiful. Hope they are getting a handle on the fire. Enjoyed the photos and thanks for sharing them.
06-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Beautiful country.
Thanks. That it is, I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

06-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Our favorite drive in the park. Our truck was pretty much maxed out on length for the road and we had to back up once to make one of the turns but it was indeed beautiful. Hope they are getting a handle on the fire. Enjoyed the photos and thanks for sharing them.
Thank you. Yeah the road has some pretty tight corners. They say the fire is 45% contained now, but it sure did burn a huge area that had a lot of great places to explore.
06-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought I might as well post a photo of one of the falls that is a short hike from Fall River Road. I took this shot a few weeks ago on a hike before the road was open. They are called Chasm Falls, a nice small falls that are about 50" or so high.

Shot with the K20D and Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 lens.

06-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Breathtaking.....and you say you took these with your Tac 28 3.5?......I'd say it did a remarkable job.
Thanks, Pickles.

06-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Breathtaking.....and you say you took these with your Tac 28 3.5?......I'd say it did a remarkable job.
Thanks, Pickles.
Thank you. Yep, the Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 lens. It has really impressed me with its sharpness and IQ. I've read before buying it that it can have poor corner sharpness, prone to flare, etc..., but mine does not suffer from any of those problems. I think it is the earlier, larger model.

It is now my go to lens for wide angle (I only use prime lenses anymore and this is my widest one).
06-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful shots. I drove through there in 1973 on my way from Greeley CO (one of the smelliest places on the planet) to Rock Springs WY and I will never forget it. I thought it might be an interesting diversion on the trip west from Detroit, but it was more than that. I've had a thing about mountains ever since. I was driving a 67 Olds Cutlass and followed US34 from Loveland, CO. The Olds might have had a few problems on the Old Fall River Road

Richard.
06-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stunning vistas..... nature in this scale is humbling... makes 'us' seem so small in comparison, thanks for the post, dave m
06-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Living in a flat country sort of makes me appreciate this kind of pictures more. Thanks for posting them!
06-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I really like the look and feel of the 2nd shot. Well done.--charliezap