Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A visit to Sandbanks Provincial Park
Lens: Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro, Pentax DA-AL 18-55mm Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Ontario, Canada ISO: 100 
Posted By: Philoslothical, 06-17-2012, 05:16 AM

For the first time in awhile, I had a chance to go shoot somewhere else. Woot. Sandbanks Provincial Park consists of a massive sand bar which separates a small bay from Lake Ontario, and wooded areas around it. It's quite pretty this time of year, with the dunes partly covered in wild flowering peas and wormwood. The sand is tough walking, but there's always a breeze off the lake to take the edge off the heat.

Standing on the first dune, getting our bearings.

And, onwards. As you can see, the dunes are quite large (for this area, anyway). Some reach 40-50 feet high.

The roots of the grasses that grow on the dunes inevitably break off and come to the surface, carving radial patterns in the sand from being whipped about by the wind.

A small wormwood plant. They dot the area, with some more established patches as well. These would have been escapees from early homesteads and farms, as the plant isn't native to this area.

Flowering Peas. I'm linking this one to its full size version, the leaves have some nicely backlit veining that is a bit small to see here.

Tracks from some kind of small invertebrate crossed this one area. I didn't get a look at what made them, but perhaps some kind of centipede or millipede. We found numerous bird and other animal tracks, even some made by turtles climbing the dunes to lay their eggs.

Towards sunset we drove around to the other side of the park, which borders Lake Ontario. This shot was incidental, but I kind of like it, flare and all.

The shoreline, showing the crumbling masses of zebra mussel shells. They're a very invasive species here.

Very minimalist, but perhaps my favourite shot of the day. The water was very calm, and the colours around the horizon really grabbed me.

Sunset over the lake.

And finally, one of the shoreline in the opposite direction, just after the sun had set.

It was a good learning experience. I re-discovered the value of dialing in AF points while using a tripod, and experimented with exposure quite a bit. Hope to get back there again sometime soon, as we only had time to see about 2% of the park.
Views: 745
06-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice series I like the picnic table and empty beers shot as well. Looks like a vey cool area, thanks for sharing.
06-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a beautiful park. Lovely scenery and looks a good place to spend a day. Thanks for sharing.
06-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the photos, you had a very pastel kind of sunset.

Very interesting, I know I was at Sandbanks once, I remember something about getting tossed out of one of those three man inflatable boats in a 2-3 foot swell and gale force winds. It looks like it was a little calmer when you were there.

06-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very attractive series. Your favorite is mine, also, and for the same reasons.

I also really like the wormwood plant and the picnic table. The picnic table shot has a low-key, "the day is done" vibe to it, and I think the little bit of flare adds a nostalgic feeling to it. It's an emotive photo.
06-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Dave, Susan. Happy to share them.

Norm, it was definitely a very calm day, as they go on the shore. A nice breeze up on the dunes, but it calmed right down as the sun set. Thanks.

luftfluss, thanks, the picnic table was a true snapshot. We were walking into the beach area there and I just thought "hey, this might work". The couple that left it like that was just leaving as we arrived, with their huge king shepherd. I keep forgetting to get a hood for my kit lens.