Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ever Been to a Quinceanera?
Camera: Fuji X0 Photo Location: Texas 
Posted By: Rupert, 06-17-2012, 04:54 PM

Me neither! Yesterday Mrs Rupert told me to grab a camera and "let's go!" I don't argue much with Mrs Rupert, she's as ornery as Otis if you do.

Anyhow, you can do a Wikipedia on it and it will be more accurate than what I would tell you....briefly the celebration of a girls 15th birthday. She is the daughter of one of Mrs Rupert's co-workers, and I can tell you, Mexicans know how to put on a party!! Last year I went to a Mexican wedding and it was the best wedding I've ever seen.....partied until after midnight! Yvette's Wedding - a set on Flickr

This Quincearnera started off in the Church...
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Went on to a dinner in the afternoon, and then a giant party that lasted until midnight.
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Lots of pretty girls all dressed up to party!
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Before the action started, Mrs Rupert (left) tried to brush up on her Mexican dance steps.She is actually pretty good, in particular to be almost 66 years old!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Some silly boys even tried to learn a few dance steps....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Not my best shooting effort, it was hot, around 95F and very humid.......I left early but Mrs Rupert stayed until midnight. She's a regular "Party Animal"....like Otis!

Just a thought.....some ethnic groups seem to have more fun and tradition than your average American....and I like that! They keep close family ties and their traditions alive and lively. I like that too!

If you ever get a chance to go to one of these events, don't miss it! .....oh yeah, the cost of this party for the parents......around $10K. Maybe I should be glad I'm just a plain old boring American!

Best Regards!
Views: 1,002
06-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like fun, but I must admit that even after living in Texas for over 15 years, I've never heard of this celebration. Perhaps this is because coastal Texas has a Louisiana culture or perhaps my head resides where photons can find no entry.

Jer
06-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a lot of fun, Rupert. Kudos to you for braving the heat and humidity to take the shots.
06-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Indeed what a celebration we could learn for these cultures.

06-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Sailor...I lived in Mexico in 1970 and this is the first I've heard of it too. My head must lodge in a similar place to yours!

Luftfluss......I wish I had come back later to join Mrs Rupert, she said the large barn was packed with people and the dancing was wonderful! It was dripping hot when I left, and I was starting to melt.

Dave....We sure could learn from some of the other cultures. Although they are "different", their values are very worthy of our consideration. I know this particular Mexican family very well, and they are hard working, honest, and fun loving Americans in every respect....and they have my respect completely!

Regards! Thanks for looking and the comments!