Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some recent portraits
Lens: various Photo Location: Melbourne, Australia Aperture: F1.4 
Posted By: DanielT74, 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Some recent portraits. Would very much appreciate feedback, comments, suggestions, tips, etc:

Childhood.

Adulthood:

Middle age:

Old age:

Last edited by DanielT74; 06-19-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Views: 1,222
06-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Work is blocking Google hosting for some reason, so I looked at these on my phone, and I am still impressed. The black and white conversions are very well done. I will look again when I get home.

Edit: These were quite excellent Daniel. I really like the post processing work, the softness(on some, sharpness on others) and the composition. They all all worked. I'd like to try to replicate that unsaturated shot's look (#4). Any starting point suggestions?

Last edited by kenafein; 06-19-2012 at 09:22 PM.
06-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Four en six are outstanding. Being a kid can feel really lonely&bored!
06-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

creative compositions daniel... varying exposures and pp add emotion and impact ... well done... dave m

06-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much, folks! Sometime I wonder if I am the only one enjoying these...

The idea was to show some of the troubles of childhood as opposed to all the typical smiles and sunshine that we all love. Followed by the bumbling of adulthood (a brilliant maths professor after messing up in a conference presentation), intense reflection of the middle age (another brilliant mathematician) and the memories in the old age passing into the light, oblivion...

Edit: Brent, I am a complete rookie at B&W processing. I am almost embarrassed to confess what I used for this shot, but it was simply a Creative Kit from Picasa and Daguerreotype from their Effects menu. I sometime do a little local dodge and burn in Photoshop and a soft light layer to deepen the background, but with Photoshop too, I am a beginner. Learning a bit more now.

Last edited by DanielT74; 06-20-2012 at 06:15 AM.
06-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The portrayal of apathy in some of these portraits brings a level of intrigue to the photos. Good results overall. 2 and 4 have slightly off focus, but otherwise these images convey emotion well.
06-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
2 and 4 have slightly off focus, but otherwise these images convey emotion well.
In the case of 4, I believe it to be intentional and an effect of the edge softness of this particular lens and not a missed focus. The soft focus on 2 adds to the photo a vintage look, and whether it was intentional or not it is very compelling along with his post processing.
Daniel, as evidenced by his other work, can deliver tack Sharp images, or dreamy soft ones, but I believe these were all carefully selected and processed to portray a certain mood; and tell a story.

06-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are very kind, Brent. The truth of the matter is that my MF skill can still be improved.

#6 was taken just before sunset while the people were walking and I was running backwards and focusing at f1.1 (Kern Macro-Switar 26/1.1). There is indeed a touch of front focus on that image.
06-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are fine candid examples that evoke an emotional response well done I say.
06-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well we all miss shots, especially at 1.1. Doesn't ruin this photo though.
06-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Ash and daacon!

Any criticism and tips will be welcome too.
06-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
The idea was to show some of the troubles of childhood as opposed to all the typical smiles and sunshine that we all love.
You achieved this. To be honest, it is pretty disturbing to see children portrayed that way. I'm not sure if this was your intention, but I think the cause of it is that we don't have context for the images. As such, they simply look like unhappy people.

Having said that, any image that appears to sum up a person (which is probably not actually possible because people are multiplicitous), could be said to be a success.

With your very obvious talent for capturing moments / personality / framing / etc., I can give you a challenge for the future. I would love to see images that both capture what you have already captured, but with the addition of context.

A great photographer once told me he had been taught that "every great image tells a story." I disagree with him, but i do believe you're capable of creating images that live up to that standard. Most of us probably have trouble with this.
06-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for you considered reply and encouragement, fuent. Sometimes it is nice to have the context and sometimes it is good to leave the audience to construct the context but your point is taken - it is lacking in this case. I will see what I can do!