Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
53 Point Blowout- HS Womens Bball
Posted By: Tyler, 01-22-2008, 08:09 PM

These are all on camera strobed shots, which isn't my favorite thing to do really, but in this dungeon of a gym it's needed. I hope to eventually set up a two flash off camera setup in the near future, but this is what I have at my disposal right now. These are all with my gear: a Pentax K100D, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and a Pentax AF360 flash.(I don't even try to use the schools D50 and 70-300mm fslow-slower setup) All shot at I believe 1/180s f2.8 ISO800 with some slight Noise Ninja applied. I really feel the flash sync of this camera is somewhat limiting but should be fixed in the new K200D and K20D. Let me know what you think. I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Tyler
Views: 1,633
01-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
SouthShoreRob

To be honest, these shots are really jumping off my screen at me - very rich colours and tight crispness. To be fair though, I would expect as much with you using your flash. Which, by the way, surprises me that no one has complained about you using a flash during the live sporting event. Is this something you've okayed with the team/coach/players? What range are you shooting from?

Thanks for sharing,

Rob
01-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
To be honest, these shots are really jumping off my screen at me - very rich colours and tight crispness. To be fair though, I would expect as much with you using your flash. Which, by the way, surprises me that no one has complained about you using a flash during the live sporting event. Is this something you've okayed with the team/coach/players? What range are you shooting from?

Thanks for sharing,

Rob
I have not asked anyone no, but a shooter from the local paper I know has and has gotten the O.K. If I was asked to stop, I would glady, but I even talked to a few of the players in my classes and they say they don't even notice it. Flash is pretty common place in HS sports. For wrestling, some photographers set up 2 Alien Bee 800's to light the mat and have no complaints.

Thanks!
01-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Tyker I think those shots are great. Nice and crisp and clear. I would have liked to see a little more action under the boards , but I am not sure where your shooting vantage point was so that may have bnnot been possible. Well done

01-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think you did a very good job. One nit is the red eye in a few of the shots. Other then that nice work.
01-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Very nice work Tyler, the colours and sharpness are great in these.
01-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Flash & Sports

I seem to get persuaded into photographing a fair bit of youth sports. I have had over two dozen shots published in the newspapers with written articles for Field Lacrosse, and Soccer. The shots have all been out side, decent lighting, and it was possible to avoid using a flash. (although flash fill can make the subject jump right out and come alive in a picture) I did run into trouble indoor with Box Lacrosse. During a tournament, I was charged to capture as many games (at least a few shots of each team). I did receive some complaints. One coach argued that it distracted his players. A few parents said that they thought it was distracting (one mother even was under the belief that I was on the other team and using the flash to alter the games outcome). The shots I took were all at mid floor, none threatening, non critical situations. I came to the conclusion that is was better to capture the bench, warm ups, per & aft game activities than use a flash during the actual game. Use a fast lens, bump up the ISO, and use a mono pod.

I liked your basketball coverage. I have never seen a "phantom of the court" protective mask like that before. Is it to protect a broken nose or previous injury, or more preventative measures. I can not imagine sweating away under that.

01-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good job Tyler, thanks for posting them.

Heinrich
01-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are wonderful pictures - the color and action look truly professional. I just wish the shirts said "Buckeyes" instead of Wolverines.

Jer