Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
the Cholla Cactus, a Survivor
Posted By: Bob Harris, 06-20-2012, 09:00 PM

The cholla cactus is very common in the S/W of the US and can survive in climates that produce temperatures of over 100 degrees with less than 3 inches of rain per year. The heavily spined cactus uses the spines not only for protection, but also as shade for the plant and as air blows through the spines, the plant is cooled down. Another way the plant protects itself is preventing the precious pollen from being washed away and at the same time capturing some moisture. The first photo shows the plant in full blossom and the second photo was taken seconds after Terri sprinkled water directly into the blossom. Isn't nature wonderful.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Views: 1,868
06-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Here are a few you might enjoy, what do you think?
Nice! I wanted to get some of those red ocotillo blooms when I was in Joshua Tree last month but I guess I was too late. Thanks for posting these.

06-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Nice! I wanted to get some of those red ocotillo blooms when I was in Joshua Tree last month but I guess I was too late. Thanks for posting these.
for information on the deserts, I often use this source. Thanks for looking. Bob

Ocotillo Fouquieria splendens (DesertUSA)

What's New - DesertUSA
06-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Bob, I love these captures! Thanks so much for taking the before and after and then sharing. The photography is wonderful too! Nice textures, clarity and colours.
06-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
for information on the deserts, I often use this source. Thanks for looking. Bob

Ocotillo Fouquieria splendens (DesertUSA)

What's New - DesertUSA
I found this link in the Deserts site you posted. It has dates and locations for peak wildflower blooms. Very useful, thanks!

Ever been to Antelope Valley for the peak California Poppy bloom? That's pretty impressive.

06-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Bob, I love these captures! Thanks so much for taking the before and after and then sharing. The photography is wonderful too! Nice textures, clarity and colours.
thank you Tess for the kind words, glad you enjoyed the thread, the desert has its own personality, come visit.
06-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I found this link in the Deserts site you posted. It has dates and locations for peak wildflower blooms. Very useful, thanks!

Ever been to Antelope Valley for the peak California Poppy bloom? That's pretty impressive.
Many times, we lived in Hesperia CA. only 50 miles or less from there. When the rainfall is right, it is a sight to see all of the poppies in bloom. Yes, lots of info from Desert Magazine, it has helped us many times in our travels.
06-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
MSL
Pentaxian

Stumbled across these by accident as I was looking through older threads - very glad you shared these as they are quite different from anything we get to see up here.

06-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Loved those, and the neat information too! The shot of the red plant is gorgeous as well, and the red is just perfect.....we have those in Texas too, so I know the color well.
Regards!
06-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Stumbled across these by accident as I was looking through older threads - very glad you shared these as they are quite different from anything we get to see up here.
Marc, glad you enjoyed the view here. I tend to forget these are not commonplace.
06-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Loved those, and the neat information too! The shot of the red plant is gorgeous as well, and the red is just perfect.....we have those in Texas too, so I know the color well.
Regards!
thanks for the kind words Rupert, I have always thought that cacti flowers are very unique and more beautiful than most. It isn't easy being a cactus in the desert.