Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More PP Mischief
Lens: Pentax 17-70 mm f/4 Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Los Angeles ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 06-21-2012, 11:12 PM

More messing around with software. I always enjoy seeing what the software will do.

Before, right out of the camera

After, through several rounds of image abuse

Last edited by GeoJerry; 06-21-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Views: 1,114
06-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very , looks like an artitst's rendering of a future building project.

What was responsible for the vignetting in the original?
06-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks! What struck me about this one was not necessarily the picture itself but how the software was able to pull the reflections out of the glass.

The vignetting comes from using a polarizer on my 17-70 lens, when using the shorter end of the range. This was taken at 25 mm.
06-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting that the polarizer/lens combo has that issue. I guess the the 17-70 only likes the slim filters.

How did you get the cloudy sky in the background? Was that added afterward?

06-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Interesting that the polarizer/lens combo has that issue. I guess the the 17-70 only likes the slim filters.

How did you get the cloudy sky in the background? Was that added afterward?
Yes, I bought a new polarizer, only the downside is that it's so thin that it can't take a lens cap, so you have to walk around without one.

The sky was added by masking, using a library of sky pictures I've been collecting. I like to do that if the sky is flat and/or there are HDR halos, and in this case I had both.
06-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice work - like the final image sooo much more !
06-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely an interesting before and after concept.

06-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Nice work - like the final image sooo much more !
Yeah me too thanks. :-) Although I don't consider it to be anything too special... it just made me wonder how many other pictures all of us have that we write off as n/g at first glance, but could be made respectable with some PP work.
06-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
More messing around with software. I always enjoy seeing what the software will do.
And I always enjoy seeing what you will do with software.
This is really stunning Jerry, masterful work imo. Is that the togger in the glass panels second from the right?
I find the clipping of the 2 bottom 'bricks' on the right a bit unsettling.

Just the window reflection could make an interesting shot if there is a place to set up for it.
Thanks Jerry, love it!
06-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
And I always enjoy seeing what you will do with software.
This is really stunning Jerry, masterful work imo. Is that the togger in the glass panels second from the right?
I find the clipping of the 2 bottom 'bricks' on the right a bit unsettling.

Just the window reflection could make an interesting shot if there is a place to set up for it.
Thanks Jerry, love it!
Thanks, nice to hear!

By togger you mean photographer, i.e. me? No that's someone admiring the view off to the right, where a railing overlooks the hillside.

I think the reflection is the most interesting thing here. If you look at the original, you can see that something is being reflected, but you couldn't quite say what it is. In the final version, you can see detail up to individual bricks in the reflected building! Amazing!

Good call on the clip - I didn't even notice it. The reason I clipped where I did was to eliminate the vignetting in the original caused by the polarizing filter on this wide angle lens. By sticking to the original aspect ratio, I accidentally cut out the bricks - should have used an unconstrained clip.
06-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
The sky was added by masking, using a library of sky pictures I've been collecting. I like to do that if the sky is flat and/or there are HDR halos, and in this case I had both.
I figured that's what you did, as the sky isn't the same style as the rest of the image.
06-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I figured that's what you did, as the sky isn't the same style as the rest of the image.
Yeah that's an issue. You have two light domains going on in one picture. The source direction and overall brightness is different for the sky versus the foreground. The result is kind of a surreal effect. What I'm working on is a more extensive library of sky images, filed by time of day and light direction, to try and achieve a more natural look when I feel I have to resort to this technique.