Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My New (Lens) Baby
Lens: Lensbaby Sweet 35 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Shanghai Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Frogfish, 06-22-2012, 01:07 AM

As in the title ! Picked it up after having had it stuck in Wenzhou for a couple of months on it's way to me. So as we were there for business/pleasure I was delighted to while away my time taking snapshots whilst trying to figure out how best to use it

These are more a set of my experimentation in different circumstances than a true depiction of what the LBs are capable of ! I have to say I was really surprised at how sharp they are too, at 1:1 in Aperture they look damn good (when I hit focus of course) !

#1 - My niece

#8 - My daughter and what is possibly the son-in-law-to-be

I have a couple of f1.2 lenses and I look forward to doing side-by-side shots to see what each can do with the same scene/subject.
Views: 1,081
06-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some intriguing effects shown in this series.
06-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Some intriguing effects shown in this series.
Thanks EM. I think I'm going to like this lens - it's already in my bag wherever I go
06-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't really say I like the effect - it has a cheesy Photoshopped look - but the pic with your daughter peeking back at you is really cute!

The first photo is just plain good, no matter the lens.

06-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Some interesting pics in here. I really liked the first two. You can get very similar effects in PP with software like OnOne Perfect Focus.
06-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
creatively composed.... interesting kinetic effect... perhaps maybe a wee bit too much.. but still enjoyed the subjects and perspectives... well done, dave m
06-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Can't really say I like the effect - it has a cheesy Photoshopped look - but the pic with your daughter peeking back at you is really cute!

The first photo is just plain good, no matter the lens.
Thanks LF. It is certainly a distinctive look. I too have seen some weird shots taken with Lensbabies but although this effect can be achieved via PS (with some difficulty as they don't come out looking quite the same as a dedicated lens and without the variety of effects capable via the Lensbaby range) it's ease of use, straight out of the camera, and it's ability to focus (excuse the pun !) the viewer's attention on the desired subject is very interesting (to me at least). The different lenses can achieve almost a Brenizer (or panoramic stitching) effect, but without having to combine e.g. 7 - 20 shots ! The lenses are really sharp too.

06-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Some interesting pics in here. I really liked the first two. You can get very similar effects in PP with software like OnOne Perfect Focus.
Thanks GJ.

Yes similar - not quite the same and there is far more variety possible with the LB range of lenses.
06-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
creatively composed.... interesting kinetic effect... perhaps maybe a wee bit too much.. but still enjoyed the subjects and perspectives... well done, dave m

Thanks Dave ! You can vary the effect by changing the aperture (you have to change 'disks' to do this). These were all taken a f4, maybe I'll have to try using the f5.6 or f8 disks to reduce the effect and see if I like it better. There are so many possibilities within the range .. but a steep learning curve with some of them !
06-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

it's a fun lens and I think it has it uses. Really like #1 and your daughter walking ...you'll get some keepers .
06-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first 2 are my favorites and are outstanding in my opinion. Great work.
06-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #12

Interesting! Is it easy to compose throught the viewfinder with this lens?
06-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
it's a fun lens and I think it has it uses. Really like #1 and your daughter walking ...you'll get some keepers .
Thank you Dave. I really like the LB - it is fun, and I think I'll print off #1&2 for her and her father.
06-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
The first 2 are my favorites and are outstanding in my opinion. Great work.
Thank you very much Dice !
06-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by petermccoy Quote
Interesting! Is it easy to compose throught the viewfinder with this lens?
No different to any other manual focus lens really, except the 'in-focus' area is much smaller and you can decide where to place it by 'tilting' the lens. Not that easy when you get to the borders though !

There were taken with the Double Glass optic and not the Sweet 35 I mistakenly wrote in the title (similar effects from those two optics).