Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mrs Rupert....Hunter/Cook
Lens: Bigma 50-500 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Texas 
Posted By: Rupert, 06-23-2012, 12:37 PM

I heard a commotion a few minutes ago and looked out my office window to see Mrs Rupert rounding up tonight's dinner.....I suppose? It is her night to cook. Neat thing about an armadillo is that they provide their own bowl!

Looks like you've got him cornered Mrs Rupert!
[IMG] [/IMG]

You better run! I smell that BBQ grill warming up!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Wow! You're nice and fat, we can send some leftovers to Otis' PF buddies!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Don't run off! ...we're only kidding...sort of!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
Views: 1,243
06-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've heard they're a tad greasy.... let me know if that is true. Maybe BBQ'ng the little guy would help.
06-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rupert, thanks for sharing these! For those of us here in NJ, armadillos are strange, alien creatures. These shots are wonderfully sharp and detailed, and I enjoyed viewing them very much.
06-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are really great pics of the armadillo Rupert. The first two trips to and through Texas only ones we saw were dead on the roads. I don't think they must be too smart or maybe they are just too slow, not sure. Just curious if you have many wild pigs in your area, lots of them in Hill Country when we visit there.

06-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Great shots. I've got plenty of holes in my back yard made by one of those buggers. They love fire ant mounds. I hardly ever see mine in the day time though.
06-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Rupert, thanks for sharing these! For those of us here in NJ, armadillos are strange, alien creatures. These shots are wonderfully sharp and detailed, and I enjoyed viewing them very much.
For you....a closer view of his tiny head. They are strange creatures, and are almost blind...he ran into Mrs Rupert and she was clearly visible. They do carry leprosy, although it might be difficult to contract unless you handled one carelessly. The tiny baby ones are the cutest things you ever saw! I've only seen a few of the babies in my life...they look like little toys!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
06-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They taste like chicken and can run like the devil squirrel is chasing them. Prehistoric-looking critters.
06-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
forensicscientist...I've never eaten one, I've eaten a little of everything else, but some say they have nice white meat and the usual....."taste like chicken".

Bob...Yes, we have a lot of wild hogs around here, some of them are gigantic. I hope I never get any in my yard!

bluestringer They don't often move around in the daylight.....this must be some sort of "strange" day.....this morning around 10 am I saw a Mama Raccoon with two babies traveling through the Woods of Otis. Very unusual.

Susan....They can move pretty fast, but they keep running into things....mostly cars on the highway!

Regards!.....I decided to eat a peanut butter sandwich tonight...not that I don't trust Mrs Rupert....but why take chances?

BTW- Just wanted to note...these armadillos have a neat design.......I'm always impressed!

06-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for these photos Rupert.

I've only ever heard of these things or maybe seen one in a book. Seeing one in your yard makes it seem more real somehow.
06-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
For you....a closer view of his tiny head. They are strange creatures, and are almost blind...he ran into Mrs Rupert and she was clearly visible. They do carry leprosy, although it might be difficult to contract unless you handled one carelessly. The tiny baby ones are the cutest things you ever saw! I've only seen a few of the babies in my life...they look like little toys!
[/url] [/IMG]

Regards!
Leprosy? They have a cure for that now, so dig in.
06-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It's cute. Cool pics. I've never seen one that close up. They're not as common here. We have a lot of opossums but I don't think I've ever seen an Armadillo even as roadkill. But if they eat fire ants then I say leave them alone. The fire ants are a lot worse company than one of these. Freakin nasty things. We have them in the yard and nothing takes them out completely. You have to watch your step around here. Stay on the sidewalks. I got bit by a bunch of them a couple of times as a kid. I'm probably allergic. I got welts the size of nickles and had trouble breathing. Not something I want to have happen again.

Speaking of bug bites, I just stepped outside for about 2 seconds to make sure Lasership didn't leave my black and white screens out in the rain because their tracking site said the package was in my town and they have a tendency towards just dumping things and not knocking and I got nailed by mosquitoes. Darn things. There's so many of them we can't hardly move lately without even getting bit. They're even in the screen room and I just redid all the screens. I can't even let the cats out it's so fierce right now. All that rain during the winter and the mild winter has this place just crawling with bugs. It's all I can do to keep fleas off the pets too even with Advantage.
06-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Very interesting shots ! I particularly liked the one with Mrs. Rupert because of the scale it gives to the creature. Much smaller than I thought they were !
06-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done , the are a perfect indication of once nature is done these creatures have remained the same forever ! As Susan said pre-historic indeed.
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
jac
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I trust that southern delicacy, squirrel, is not on the menu of the Hunter/Cook.
06-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
I trust that southern delicacy, squirrel, is not on the menu of the Hunter/Cook.
Not if she wants to avoid the wrath of the Devil Squirrel!

Thanks for the interest you guys/gals!.......I am glad you enjoyed viewing this uncommon creature that is very common in my area. Sometimes I can count a half dozen dead ones on the highway between here and town, but they seem to replenish faster than they decline. Not many natural predators can defeat them, and I guess their #1 enemy in the world is the automobile....followed by a gardener with a hoe...they can destroy a garden overnight!

Best Regards!
Rupert