Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Painted Buntings
Lens: Pentax-A 400/5.6 + 1.4x L-converter Camera: K10D Photo Location: Bald Head Island, NC USA 
Posted By: baro-nite, 06-23-2012, 04:48 PM

Yes, they really do look like this; these have only basic PP applied and no saturation boost. Shot at Bald Head Island, NC (USA), where there is a significant summer nesting population, thanks to the large area of maritime forest (now all too rare on the US east coast). They are small birds; these shots are all larger than life size (on a screen with typical resolution). As you can see, many of the birds have been captured and banded, as part of the ecological study program they have here. Two males:

And a female (sorry about the glare but never could get a shot of a female away from the feeder):

Detail of male plumage:

Views: 759
06-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am so jealous. I love these little guys and haven't seen one in ten years or so. We do get them along our coast but we just haven't been lucky and here you have them at your feeders. You are one lucky guy. Oh, nice shots by the way.
06-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
You are one lucky guy.
No argument from me! Was staying at a friend's place; these are all shot from their back deck. The buntings come by all day long and don't much mind people on the deck as long as you sit still, even if you sit within a few yards of the feeder. BHI is an amazing place for birds. Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to get to, and expensive to stay if you aren't as lucky as me. But then that has quite a bit to do with why the birding is so good -- though quite developed it is nothing like the usual over-developed US eastern seaboard.
06-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Love those! Nice shooting! We only get to see them infrequently here, but a friend just a few miles away has dozens of them coming to her feeders. I think maybe they don't like all the Squirrels around my place?
Beautiful little birds...well shot!
Regards!

06-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice capture.

Beautiful bird.

Tom G
06-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Gorgeous little birds.

No surprise there then (getting a female away from a feeder - oh oh I'm for it now from the PC crowd)
06-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think maybe they don't like all the Squirrels around my place?
Maybe! Apparently the Buntings are mainly interested in the white millet -- does Otis hoard those?

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Nice capture.
Thanks Tom!

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
No surprise there then
No comment! But it wasn't so much how much time either spent at the feeder, rather that the males tended to stay still a little longer when perched in the branches.