Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Colorado Springs Area On Fire
Posted By: Bob Harris, 06-26-2012, 08:32 PM

It looked like fire personnel had the fire under control, 4 C-130 planes were dropping slurry on the fire, hundreds of firefighters on the line and then about 3pm, the winds changed blowing up to 60mph and all fire lines were breached. Last report was that at least 30,000 were evacuated and many homes were on fire. Photos here are from our campground, the smoke got so bad the area actually turned a yellow color. The winds have changed again, our campground is clear, but the fire is still roaring out of control and burning through neighborhoods above the city.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 3,207
06-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Some excellent photos Bob, especially the first one.

It is a very sad time for the front range. That Waldo Canyon fire really moved fast yesturday. The firefighters were amazed when it burned through two valleys right before their eyes in a matter of minutes.

It is now into the neighborhoods and has burned the Garden of the Gods (I believe). MANY homes are destroyed and 39.000 people are under evacuation orders.

Stay safe out there Bob!
thanks for the added info CJ, lots of rumors that I am hearing this am. it is said approx 100 homes were lost in the firestorm yesterday and 10,000
acres burned, but that is unofficial. Not sure about GoG's, but I know the fire was burning right in the area.

06-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What a terrible shame. I just saw a news program saying fire is near the Air Force Academy.

Jer
from what I heard Jer, it is near the academy and they evacuated some of their off site housing, but fire is not in the academy proper itself.
06-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Remarkable and quite scary, Bob! You guys stay safe!

That first shot is especially amazing!
thanks Lori, all is well on our front. Bob
06-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

We had great big fires all around Texas last year...so I can empathize. We had four fires around my house last summer.

All together our fires burned a place about the size of New Jersey to the ground. Maybe a little more...

Its crazy.

06-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
It is so amazing that something so horrendous can make for some pretty awesome photos. What a great record of events you have captured Bob. Be safe and keep us up on how things are going out there. They have evacuated the Air Force Academy as of this AM I think.
Susan, I did hear on the radio that part of the housing area was being evacuated, I will have to listen up as far as the complete academy. thanks Bob
06-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
omg, that is really something else... wow...do you feel that you are inhaling that smoke? What a storm. Thanks for posting your photos.
You definitely can smell and taste the smoke Tess, like having a campfire next to you.
06-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What a difference a day makes. Sunset shows smoke is still in the sky, with clouds and even some moisture mixed in. Today was much cooler, clouds and even a few raindrops but the smoke is still heavy in the area and there are a lot of hot spots in the hills.

Attached Images

06-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A friend of ours in Colorado City sent us these photos, not sure how they got so close on the first photo
Attached Images

06-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bob

It's hit the news here in Australia. We too are no strangers to "bush fires" as we call them. Very dangerous and scary times. Take care.
06-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
We had great big fires all around Texas last year...so I can empathize. We had four fires around my house last summer.

All together our fires burned a place about the size of New Jersey to the ground. Maybe a little more...

Its crazy.
\
It was a terrible year for Texas wildfires, lets hope you get enough rain to prevent that from happening this year. Thanks for looking. Bob
06-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Bob

It's hit the news here in Australia. We too are no strangers to "bush fires" as we call them. Very dangerous and scary times. Take care.
thank you Bruce, those wildfires in Australia that I have seen on TV are unbelievable, you just get out of the way of those I think and such high winds they destroy everything in its path. Preliminary reports here in Colorado Springs that over 350 homes have been lost in the fire, weather conditions have cooled and if the wind stays down they should be able to get under full control early next week. Bob
06-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are some dramatic, but scary images Bob. Stay safe.
06-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Those are some dramatic, but scary images Bob. Stay safe.
thank you Dennis, I appreciate the kind words.
06-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Awesome dramatic shots Bob.Looks like a lot of misery going on there.--charliezap
06-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Some excellent photos Bob, especially the first one.

It is a very sad time for the front range. That Waldo Canyon fire really moved fast yesterday. The firefighters were amazed when it burned through two valleys right before their eyes in a matter of minutes.

It is now into the neighborhoods and has burned the Garden of the Gods (I believe). MANY homes are destroyed and 39.000 people are under evacuation orders.

Stay safe out there Bob!
CJ and anyone that might be interested, here is a link to the Denver Post that has many pics and descriptions. The fire has burned approx 17,000 acres, 2 died in the fire and 346 homes and counting have burned to the ground. Overcast weather the last couple of days and lighter winds have helped the fire fighters get a handle on the fire.
Colorado Wildfire Photos: The Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado SpringsPlog Photo Blog