Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Interesting lens and photos...input please!
Posted By: Fireball, 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM

I picked up an old 1.4 MF lens a while back for a steal ($15 CAD, IIRC?)

I went on a trip to Las Vegas over the winter, and pretty much restricted myself to using it most of the time. MF is fun, but at 1.4, it's really hard to nail focus, and even when it is "nailed", it's so paper thin it's actually quite interesting to see the results. Couldn't imagine using this lens on film back in the days of FF!

Anyways, I thought the result of this image was somewhat interesting. *NO* post processing applied. Interesting color rendition and OOF areas (should I use the term 'boke' here? I'm almost afraid to use it because it's sort of a "holy grail" should the term be used correctly to describe the background of a photo...)

Comments / critiques / random thoughts?

Thanks!

Cheers,

T
Views: 1,390
01-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry T, others will like it but quite honestly I think its an OOF image.
01-24-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I have to agree with this. I have M 50/1.7 and I know how hard is to focus at 1.7. I can't imagine to do it at 1.4 at all. Besides, I also have some front focus, but I almost learned how to use the lense.
I first rotate the focus ring to infinity and then very slowly back down again, till the camera focusing light turns on. A that moment, the object is in focus. It doesn't matter if the focusing light turns off again. I just press a shutter button and that's it.

But here for your photo, I can see you had 1/4000 of shutter speed. You could close the apperture a bit, because you had enaugh light to do it.
01-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I feel bad about making the statement, please, don't be offended - it wasn't meant to hurt feelings or discourage you.

01-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are correct though JC. the image is out of focus. The lens is a great performer and if you want to shoot at 1.4, you really need to use a tripod because the DOF is so razor thin and camera/body movement will make the subject OOF.
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
I feel bad about making the statement, please, don't be offended - it wasn't meant to hurt feelings or discourage you.
No offense taken at all, everyone!

I, myself, was a bit curious as to why the photo turned out like this. I was already suspecting that the picture itself was slightly OOF.

I know I could have stopped down a bit, but I was giving an old "oh what the heck" that day and trying my hand at some 1.4 (I am young and still have good eyesight, but damned if I could get it anywhere close at night time).

I'm curious though...isn't the very left corner of the flower in focus? Perhaps I should re-export the photo at a higher quality (sorry bout putting it that low in the first place) to see if it is indeed that out of focus (I'm tempted to think that though most of the OOF is due to operator error, some of it may be induced by JPG compression)?

Regardless, this isn't a good shot by any means - I just kept it because it was different than what I'm used to seeing come out of my camera.

*Edit* Just uploaded a higher quality JPG...looks a bit better, perhaps?

But to defend my own dignity (you guys destroyed it, after all ), perhaps this will be more appealing. Also taken with the Chinon M50 1.4: