Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
All are sleeping on the hill
Lens: pentax da 12-24 Camera: k7 Photo Location: Custoza- Italy 
Posted By: giuseppesavo, 06-29-2012, 03:42 PM

two words before the image.
In this period I'm living near Verona, and in that land there were various battles more or less 100-150 years ago, leading to the independence of Italy.
Two of these battles were near Custoza, a little village famous for his wine.
After years, farmers found a lot of skulls and bones in their properties, and was decided to build a place where the rests of these poor soldiers could rest in peace.
This place is open, and it is possible to visit it.
There are various approaches to a place like this.
I just want to show how thousands of human beings found a terrible death far from their families and their lovers, and how Death makes everyone similar each other.
You can't recognize the italian or the austrian, the french or the croatian.
They are all there, sleeping on the hill.

scream | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Views: 865
06-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It makes you wonder who they were, what they were like, their loves & hates.

Did they die quickly or slowly in great pain.

Were they missed afterwards or never noticed.

Would one of them, had they survived, come up with some great new invention or theory or discovery that the world will now have lost forever.

Interesting photo with a lot of thoughts attached.
06-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Agreed, a thought provoking and very cool work. I was thinking the same things as mtansley, before I read his post. Who were these people, and what were they like?

Last edited by GeoJerry; 06-29-2012 at 06:01 PM.
06-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I concur with both the above posts. Powerful images indeed.

06-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's interesting to note that these people probably knew very little of other countries or people.
Their lives were probably totally within several miles of their birth places until they went to war.

I was commenting to my wife that a person in Italy uploads these photos, I comment in Canada, someone comments from California and still another from Australia. We all have the same thoughts.

I may be sounding too deep and philosophical but when something like that happens, I believe there is still some hope for the world. (Sorry, just the mood I'm in!!)
06-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I hope you are right Michael and that there is still hope for the world. Somedays you have to wonder. The skull on the left looks like he has a whole other story to tell. Was his head pierced with an arrow or a pike? So sad but amazing that a group of farmers would care enough a century later to give these remains a place to rest.
06-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wars....almost everyone knows better, but we still have plenty of them. We usually end up explaining how they were preventable...but it is always too late. True, we don't know who these poor souls were.......but it's a good guess who they weren't. They most likely were not Barons, Lords, Aristocrats, Politicians, or other high ranking officials. If they had been, then more wars would be prevented, instead of preventable....too late.

Thanks for the shot, it is indeed thought provoking....and in my case "Big Mouth Activating".
Regards!

06-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Wars....almost everyone knows better, but we still have plenty of them. We usually end up explaining how they were preventable...but it is always too late. True, we don't know who these poor souls were.......but it's a good guess who they weren't. They most likely were not Barons, Lords, Aristocrats, Politicians, or other high ranking officials. If they had been, then more wars would be prevented, instead of preventable....too late.

Thanks for the shot, it is indeed thought provoking....and in my case "Big Mouth Activating".
Regards!
I do have to agree with you Rupert about guessing who these people weren't. Well put.
06-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spooky. I totally agree with Rupert.

I wonder if the left-most skull was an execution, judging by the hole between the eyes.

Brings to mind a quote from the LoTR: The Two Towers movie:

"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he comes from, and if he really was evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home, and would he not rather have stayed there... in peace? War will make corpses of us all." - Faramir, to Frodo & Sam.
06-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What lies or threats led him on this long march from home
That's the scary part.....and not being political,( I always got in trouble over there!) it applies to all political parties, religions, and ethnic groups.

Regards!