Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
What do you think of this picture?
Posted By: little laker, 09-18-2006, 08:59 PM

What do you think of this campfire picture? (Sorry for the size, reducing it more seems to take something away)

And what sort of improvements do you think that I could make for next time?
(Which will be at the end of the month)

I'd have to dig up some examples, but I liked my old Sony point and shoot's after dark pictures better than my K100D's. I'd like to change that.

Thanks
Stu
Views: 3,103
09-18-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if it is my work monitor but it seems way too black to me..

I think I like the idea of what you wanted to do (just see the flames not wood etc?) but I think it could have been a little bit brighter..
09-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Depending on what you were going for, a flash would of helped.
09-19-2006, 01:53 AM   #4
Inactive Account

What do you think of this picture

Hi Stu;
I can see what you are going for in effect and I think it shows great creativity. However I think I would add just a little fill light to allow the flames to stand out more. I don't mean enough to see the entire camp fire but just enough to lighten and bring up the flames.
What software are you using to PP? Let me recomend a free program, it's simple and easy to use and I use it for quick PP work. The program is called Picasa You can Download it from Google along with a web Gallery (which I don't use) but for fast PP it's a great program and file management is automatic. For my main PP work I use Photoshopcs2 and I paid thru the nose for it (of course I got all the plugins) but It takes time to learn the program. I've been working with it for months and still haven't really touched it's power.

Good Shooting:
Cheers: David

09-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, truth is that I never tried any lighting. I'll try some the next time.
I thought that lighting would take the flaming effect away

I have Picasa, David and love it. Although I rarely use it.

I usually use irfanview, and don't usually do more editing than a crop or size reduction
09-19-2006, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

what do you think of this picture

Hi Stu.
Picasa is a very powerful program and does so many things to help with tuning your pictures without having to work hard. If you take the picture of the campfire you have and open it in Picasa you will see the menu for tuning and effects. also on thie main menu you have I feel lucky, auto contrast, auto color. and fill lighting. Theres a slider on the fill lighting option slide it back and forth and see what effects this gives you on the picture. I would say with just a little fill lighting you will see how the shadows are still there but the flames become vibrent, and stand out even more.

Now your in the mode where you can make your pictures stand out and give that WOW effect Digital Photography gives everyone the ability to make changes or highlight their photos the way we want them. PP is the topping on our masterpieces. Creativity has only one limit and that is with your mind. If it works, Work it better!

You do an excelant job behind the lens, you have a good eye and a lot of creative thinking. Always express yourself creatively.

Good Shooting.
09-19-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider cropping it so thhat the central flame stands out

09-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Stu. I was just wondering if you attempted any of the suggestions about cropping or fill lighting. If so, I'd love to see the results.
09-23-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been pretty busy, but finally had a few min to work at the photo. I'd like more time to experiment, but in my opinion the pic now looks a little better

before the editing

after the editing

I'll be leaving on another fishing / camping trip in the next few days and should get plenty of chances to experiment with fire side photos. I'll share some when I'm back (probably a week from monday)
09-24-2006, 01:40 AM   #10
Inactive Account

What do you think of this Picture

Hi Stu;
Now I think you have it. The flames really stand out and you can see the fire in the base better. Good job.

Have fun on your fishing trip and bring back some great shots.

Good Shooting.
09-24-2006, 03:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My monitor is working just fine but the image too underexposed.

The question from my end is what were you trying to achieve? What ever it was, in my very unknowledgeable opinion, did not come-across.