Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Got a soft box! First portrait!
Posted By: hamidlmt, 01-24-2008, 01:49 AM

I picked up a lighting kit today from a local photographer. It's a Photoflex Starlite Medium softbox kit. I feel I got a very nice deal.

Yes, the light output is much less than most strobes, but it replicates the way I work with natural light so easily. It's a moving window! I just set the white balance to tungsten and I think the results are snazzy!

Here's a couple from my first 15 minutes... taken with the K10D and DA* 50-135mm 2.8.

The set up... taken with the 31mm 1.8 Limited with the on-board flash dialed down.

Last edited by hamidlmt; 01-24-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Views: 2,858
01-24-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have been thinking about getting a lighting setup myself recently.

Sounds like it is working nicely (as seen in your images) ... and you have a nice willing subject as well
01-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I have been thinking about getting a lighting setup myself recently.

Sounds like it is working nicely (as seen in your images) ... and you have a nice willing subject as well
It's always bugged me that it's difficult to shoot in the winter and we lose light so quickly during the day. Now, I won't have that problem and I still feel I can be creative. I'll probably pick up one more light fairly soon.

Chaya is always willing. I just wave around a toy and tell her to stay.
01-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the new "toy" err gear!! Great images and looks like you have a winning setup. Luck the "model" is cheap and so willing!!

So how portable is the unit?

01-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Congrats on the new "toy" err gear!! Great images and looks like you have a winning setup. Luck the "model" is cheap and so willing!!

So how portable is the unit?
Thanks!

It's very portable. The soft box folds down and fits in a little bag, the stand folds up. Then, there's the extra pieces... the light unit, the bulb (fits in a robust tube), the speed ring and power cord... I need to find some kind of box or bag for these. The extra bits are not bulky and the entire setup is quite light, even when considering the sturdy stand.

It also came with some inner louvers in it's own bag that I don't think I'll use much.

The first time I set everything up, it took me less than 5 minutes. Break down should be equally as quick.

I could easily transport a dozen or more of these in the trunk of my Mustang, if needed. Today or tomorrow, I'll get some better pics of the setup, both up and torn down.
01-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this the same as this? Soft Star Light
Much cheaper, and I'm hoping, it will produce the same results.

I'm thinking of getting one for myself as well. Love the "moving window" effect.
01-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Is this the same as this? Soft Star Light
Much cheaper, and I'm hoping, it will produce the same results.

I'm thinking of getting one for myself as well. Love the "moving window" effect.
I hadn't seen this particular cool light yet. There's a few interesting systems using compact flourescent bulbs.

I have this kit from Photoflex. It uses a halogen bulb. I can also get an adapter so I can use a compact flourescent bulb. Even though it's much more warm, I really enjoy the light from the Photoflex.

Starlite Medium Digital Kit 1

01-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

sharp! look good!
01-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Congradulation on the new fun lighting equipment, My softbox cannot produce the results like yours... Sigh...

The last dog shot is quite moody. I like it the best
01-25-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Very nice photos, and I'm jealous.

I'll pass along a little tip I once read regarding the use of softboxes with subjects where the light is reflected in the subject (as in the dog's eyes). You can use black gaffer's tape to make a vertical and a horizontal stripe across the face of the softbox, which will make the reflection look like the light came from a window instead of from studio lighting equipment.
01-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Like snoot?
01-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
sharp! look good!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Congradulation on the new fun lighting equipment, My softbox cannot produce the results like yours... Sigh...

The last dog shot is quite moody. I like it the best
Aren't softboxes pretty much the same? I just pointed it towards the dog and snapped away.

That last one was a funny shot... couldn't find the angle I wanted with the 31 Limited, so I just sat back on the couch and went... hmm... that could make a picture! LOL!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Very nice photos, and I'm jealous.

I'll pass along a little tip I once read regarding the use of softboxes with subjects where the light is reflected in the subject (as in the dog's eyes). You can use black gaffer's tape to make a vertical and a horizontal stripe across the face of the softbox, which will make the reflection look like the light came from a window instead of from studio lighting equipment.
Oh... so the gaffer's tape will make it look like an older window? I get it... I might have to try that sometime when I find some gaffer tape.
01-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Snagged another shot last night

A softbox and a sleepy doggie... going for that morning light through a window effect... taken with the FA 50mm 1.4.

01-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great shots. I really like #1 & #2.
01-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLThorne Quote
Great shots. I really like #1 & #2.
Thanks Greg!