Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4th Of July Fireworks, Denver, Colorado
Lens: DA 35mm f/2.4 Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Speer + Zuni ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 3s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: rbefly, 07-01-2012, 05:13 AM

Here's one of the few fireworks displays we'll be having this year; Because of the heat and wildfires around the state, most were cancelled.
The Colorado Rockies MLB had this display after the Saturday night game. The streets around the ballpark were packed and I literally couldn't find anywhere to park or set up.
So, I trekked to my favorite "Cityscape" spot, off Speer Blvd, and Zuni street. This is about a mile from the display.
My gear was a K-7, DA 35mm f/2.4, Bogen 3011 tripod with Horsbennu(sp?) ballhead. Cable release + lens hood, no filters.
Exposures ranged from 2s to 3s, f/5.6 to f/8.0, ISO 100.
I took over 200 photos and most came out well. There was lots of smoke, I left one shot cropped "long" to show the reflection of the display in the smoke trail.
Most of the crops are about 20% - 30% of the original frame, since I was so far away. PP was mainly crop, contrast and color.
Happy Independence Day!
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Views: 1,561
07-02-2012, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mmmm...are you a little early, or rather late? Or did they move the 4th to a more convenient time?
Regardless - nice work. Very nice color saturation.
Thanks for sharing.
07-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wrong Date?

Hi Jford,
Yes, I wondered about that, too. Usually, when the 4th falls during the week, the major displays and events come on the weekend afterwards.
Not this year, for some reason. At least not here in the greater Denver area. I googled "Fireworks, Denver Colorado" and got a list for every city and town in the area, all were last weekend or the 3rd and 4th. Nothing next weekend.
Nearly every annual event had fireworks cancelled this year, but most most still had the parade, musical events or other festivals.
There's one more firework display, tonight at the City and County building downtown. I'll try photographing that one, also.
With open fire and burning bans statewide, it's just not safe to have fireworks here this year. We really need some rain!
Thanks for the comments on the photos, hope I can get closer to the display tonight!
Ron