Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Lacma
Posted By: GeoJerry, 07-05-2012, 12:06 AM

Some shots today at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.

This big rock is, I guess, art. It's called Levitated Mass.

One of the museum buildings.

Another building in the complex.

A secluded and roped off courtyard with a mysterious yellow object. If anyone knows what this is, let me know.

And finally, toying around with Topaz and OnOne again which combine for a kind of weird but interesting image.

Views: 1,161
07-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Thanks! I'm going back there over the weekend to try for a better result on the last pic. Do you remember any street names where I can find these roofs? It doesn't sound familiar, but if you can give me some more info I'll take some pictures of them and stick them on here.

Nope. Just remeber in bewteen Olympic, above Pico and in and above 3rd street in line with the Miracle Mile museum area. I used to see them all the time when I lived there. But they gradually began disapearing. They are also called built up roofs. Just layers and layers of shingles that look sculpted to form 3 d style roofs. Almost like waves are cut in and out with the shingles built up in multi layers.

Here was a half ass built up sculpted roof. Look at the bottom of the roof and you can see some of the shingle build up. But it was probably not as sculpted as it could have been. I just don't remember, as I took it in the early 70's.

Now, if you find any sculpted roofs, you will know it. They look nothing like a normal shingle roof. They look like someone took a carving knife to it and shaped the roof.

And don't worry if you don't find em. They most likely wont surpass your LACMA stuff for great pix. It is more of a public service to document them before they become extict.

As I told you, I can't even find a pix of one to show you on the web. And I used to see them every block or two in L.A. back in the 80's.

....Getting back to LACMA...keep up the great work!

Last edited by slackercruster; 07-05-2012 at 05:08 PM.