Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
A Couple Randoms From The Wetlands
Lens: DA* 300 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Maryland ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s 
Posted By: joe.penn, 07-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Here are a couple random shots from one of my favorite places to shoot.

[Very Large] Snapping Turtle - Wide Open @ f/4.0, ISO-6400 (was getting dark on the trail)

Osprey - Cropped quite a bit, he was pretty far away (and still saw me), still can't seem to get close(er) to them this year, very frustrating!

EDIT: Forgot to add the frog on the original post, I think this is what the turtle was looking for...

EDIT (2): Guess I can add this one also - a strange flare (I guess from the lens) is evident between his wings.
Boat-tailed Grackle

Last edited by joe.penn; 07-05-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Views: 1,366
07-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lovely images. That snapping turtle is something else. Thanks for sharing your wetlands.
07-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Lovely images. That snapping turtle is something else. Thanks for sharing your wetlands.
Thanks Susan ...
07-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These could be from my neck of the woods. Nice work, and I'm another one who can't seem to get close enough to ospreys.

07-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The frog just popped out of my monitor! Man that snapping turtle is not pretty at all. Great work. Thanks for sharing.
07-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

a nice varied series Joe.--charliezap
07-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pictures, Joe !
the snapper sure looks mean ...

The osprey is very nice, even cropped as you mentioned. I would be happy to just see one, once in a while.
Wouldn't you just wished that Pentax would have this "upcoming" 560mm lens already?
Personally, I "long" for a longer focal to get a tad closer !

Cheers!

JP

07-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Nice work, and I'm another one who can't seem to get close enough to ospreys.
Thanks luftfluss! We have the highest concentration of Ospreys in the country here where I am at, the Chesapeake Bay is on one side of me and the Patuxent River (with almost the entire river protected) is on the other side of me. It's frustrating as I will see 20|25|30 or more Osprey in one outing and can never get close enough to get those beautiful bird portraits I am after. I did get a portable camo blind a couple of months ago and have yet had a chance to take it out, I may do so as soon as the heat breaks, maybe camp out where I know they perch at and just wait for them to come to me...

@Dice | @charliezap - Glad you guys liked them, thanks for the compliments, very much appreciated!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Wouldn't you just wished that Pentax would have this "upcoming" 560mm lens already?
Personally, I "long" for a longer focal to get a tad closer !
Thanks @jpzk, and yes the 560 is very tasty! I am trying to get my hands on a Pentax 1.7 to put on the 300 to make it 510 to hold me over for a bit, just can't seem to get one for a descent price.
07-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great series.

Nasty looking snapper. I saw one on the weekend but sadly didn't have my camera with me. The shell was the size of a large dinner plate. Gave it a wide berth for obvious reasons.

Tom G
07-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Joe, I used to live close to moraine wetlands and they were my daily walking grounds, before I was into photography. I love your images and they remind me of the rich and diverse life I witnessed. The turtle and frog and awesome shots, and the Osprey is really giving you the eye! Great shot of the Grackle taking off... Do you have Bobolinks in the area? I have not seen nor heard one since moving up here. They are my favourite bird and they used to live on the outlying area of the wetlands. Reminding me too of the Harrier Hawks that were present.

Thank you for the wonderful series. I look forward to more!!!
07-06-2012, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Great series.
Nasty looking snapper. I saw one on the weekend but sadly didn't have my camera with me. The shell was the size of a large dinner plate. Gave it a wide berth for obvious reasons.
Thanks Tom! Not only does he look nasty, he was quite grumpy also. He had a twig with dead leaves on it's shell, for the picture I didn't want that to show so I picked up a long thin branch and used that to get the twig with the dead leaves off of his shell - as soon as the branch touched his shell, he literally "Jumped" with the quick "Hiss" spurt, the jump turned him about 45 degrees (scared that crap out of me as I did not expect that)...

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Joe, I used to live close to moraine wetlands and they were my daily walking grounds, before I was into photography. I love your images and they remind me of the rich and diverse life I witnessed. The turtle and frog and awesome shots, and the Osprey is really giving you the eye! Great shot of the Grackle taking off... Do you have Bobolinks in the area? I have not seen nor heard one since moving up here. They are my favourite bird and they used to live on the outlying area of the wetlands. Reminding me too of the Harrier Hawks that were present.

Thank you for the wonderful series. I look forward to more!!!
Thanks Tess! This place is a jewel and gets visited by birders from up and down the east coast all year long. As for the Bobolinks, I have not seen any myself. I just found the bird list for this area and scanned it in, I think the list notes 219 species of birds spotted here (here being this particular place I got these shots). Jug Bay [Federally Protected] Wildlife Sanctuary is up the road from here on the river side and if I recall correctly the bird species count there is over 350 different species spotted.

07-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang, Joe I gotta get down there! Nice osprey: not an easy shot.
07-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave - I have been looking at different boats for a while, looking to get one to go up and down the river through jug bay, shouldn't have any issues getting close ups of osprey while boating it and also should be able to use the 200 2.8...
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote

Thanks @jpzk, and yes the 560 is very tasty! I am trying to get my hands on a Pentax 1.7 to put on the 300 to make it 510 to hold me over for a bit, just can't seem to get one for a descent price.
I tried, many, many times the combo DA*300/4 + the much-sought-after Pentax 1.7X TC and I have never been satisfied with the resulting IQ.

From using the DA*300 on its own, with its characteristic wonderful IQ, to using it with that TC: I'd say one out of ten shots would deserve a 8/10 rating (vs. 10/10 most of the time with the lens alone).
That 8/10 rating is when the exposure is perfect, the subject is contrasty and there is no distant haze.

I am waiting for a choice of longer focal and hopefully Pentax will deliver.
Otherwise, the Sigma 500/4.5 would be the best pick ... although very much more expensive probably.

JP
07-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Great capture of the Snapper! I've only seen a couple near that size in my lifetime here where I live - of course that was back when I didn't always have a camera at hand. For me they would be a great subject since they won't fly away as soon as I bring my camera up to me eye!

jpzk - I agree with your sentiments re the 1.7x TC - I've used one on my FA* 300 and while the images were "OK", they just weren't the same - the IQ from these lenses in their native form is just so beautiful, I can't settle for anything less even if it means not having the reach.