Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sharing Schrooms
Camera: K-5 Photo Location: North Carolina 
Posted By: slowpez, 07-06-2012, 07:42 AM

I am a sucker when it comes to photographing schrooms although I can't seem to capture them as well as I want to. The third one is called Indian Pipe I think and I don't think it is a schroom although it looks fungusy.

Last edited by slowpez; 07-16-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Views: 872
07-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you do a great job Susan, what's to complain about and never seen the 3rd variety. Of course the only type I ever see in the desert is in the grocery stores, so these are a treat to see.
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ah yes, the fungi and lichen are irresistible photogenic subjects! We have a "key word" and file just for them!! Susan these are great captures. The Indian Pipe is one of my favourites and I love your rendition. Great work!
07-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice set; love the colors in #1, and Indian Pipe is a favorite flower. Yes, it's a flower, a saprophytic (i.e., non-photosynthesizing; lives off decaying organic matter) species in the Heath family, believe it or not.

07-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shots! You did well, IMO! I've been photographing mushrooms (schrooms) for probably 40 years - give or take! Still fun. The trick is to flash fill only. Just a tad of flash and diffuse it. The next part is tough on me....ya gotta get down to their level, and you did! Wonderful!

Last edited by WillH; 07-06-2012 at 05:15 PM.
07-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Very nice series. Well done.
07-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful shots, Susan! They have a very interesting quality about them, mushrooms. I admit, I always get a little giddy when I see one growing in the yard or woods. Nice series!
07-07-2012, 04:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Susan,that first image looks like it's out of Willy Wonker And The Chocolate Factory or something out of The Smurfs.I really like it.Sensational work!!

07-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I think you do a great job Susan, what's to complain about and never seen the 3rd variety. Of course the only type I ever see in the desert is in the grocery stores, so these are a treat to see.
Thanks Bob. You have to get out of the desert sometime Bob; I will kindly trade you places. It has to be cooler there than here now.

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Ah yes, the fungi and lichen are irresistible photogenic subjects! We have a "key word" and file just for them!! Susan these are great captures. The Indian Pipe is one of my favourites and I love your rendition. Great work!
Thanks tess. Schrooms have always fascinated me. So many varieties and always a lovely surprise when found.

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Nice set; love the colors in #1, and Indian Pipe is a favorite flower. Yes, it's a flower, a saprophytic (i.e., non-photosynthesizing; lives off decaying organic matter) species in the Heath family, believe it or not.
Thanks for the info baro-nite. I figured it was like cancer root and some of those other plants that grow up from the roots of trees or something. Interesting plant anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Great shots! You did well, IMO! I've been photographing mushrooms (schrooms) for probably 40 years - give or take! Still fun. The trick is to flash fill only. Just a tad of flash and diffuse it. The next part is tough on me....ya gotta get down to their level, and you did! Wonderful!
One of these days I will get me a flash but I'm afraid I may have to sell my husband to get the money.
07-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Very nice series. Well done.
Thanks so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Beautiful shots, Susan! They have a very interesting quality about them, mushrooms. I admit, I always get a little giddy when I see one growing in the yard or woods. Nice series!
Thanks Lori. I appreciate your having a look. I agree about the mushrooms. So different and it is so special when you find one that has a perfect shape. Rare to find though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Susan,that first image looks like it's out of Willy Wonker And The Chocolate Factory or something out of The Smurfs.I really like it.Sensational work!!
Thanks a lot Barnster.
07-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
One of these days I will get me a flash but I'm afraid I may have to sell my husband to get the money.
You can do a lot with a manual (non-PTTL) flash or two, with inexpensive radio triggers or even optical triggering. I sprung for the 540FGZ and it's a very nice unit, but I have to admit I haven't used it in PTTL mode yet. Hence my much cheaper 500FTZ serves nearly just as well for what I'm doing, and there are other good manual options that are cheaper still.
07-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First shot is fantastic, looks almost magical.
07-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
You can do a lot with a manual (non-PTTL) flash or two, with inexpensive radio triggers or even optical triggering. I sprung for the 540FGZ and it's a very nice unit, but I have to admit I haven't used it in PTTL mode yet. Hence my much cheaper 500FTZ serves nearly just as well for what I'm doing, and there are other good manual options that are cheaper still.
That is starting to sound like something I don't want to drag down a trail. By the time I collect all the goodies I want, I won't be able to get to the stuff I want to photograph.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
First shot is fantastic, looks almost magical.
Thanks luftfluss. It is my favorite also.
07-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
That is starting to sound like something I don't want to drag down a trail. By the time I collect all the goodies I want, I won't be able to get to the stuff I want to photograph.
Not just the haulage -- getting everything mounted, connected, and adjusted becomes a (rather) fussier process. Any walking companions will have their patience tested even more sorely than before. Better not go there.
07-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An intersting and colourful array of fungi and well captured.