Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Walking across Puget Sound
Lens: 70-300 and 12-24 Camera: K100D Photo Location: Tacoma, WA 
Posted By: RoxnDox, 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM

We had a nice sunny day for the 4th, and we figured we could beat the crowds at Tacoma's waterfront airshow by going out on the Narrows Bridge and catching the planes from there (knowing we'd only see the higher-altitude bits of hte show...). Well, we ended up seeing very little of the airshow, but we had a nice long walk across the bridge and back (about 3 miles total). I broke out the Pentax for the first time in quite a while, and got a few nice images. Well, *I* like 'em!

Jim

Westbound side (the 'old bridge' from 1950, which replaced the original 1940 "Galloping Gertie"). The pedestrian walkway on that one is closed, unfortunately...

The walkway on the eastbound bridge (completed in 2007), with the spousal unit and the kids (2 and 4 legged)...

Happy dawgs!

Center of the cable span, with the big bolts and nuts holding things together! Impressive engineering...

One of the cable anchors...

The tidal currents that made construction so challenging (these are eddies from the flow boiling around the bridge piers about 175 ft below... Max current that day was over 6knots)

And last (since my airplane pics turned out marginal at best) but not least, another shot of The Mountain (aka Mt Rainier for those not living in its shadow)

Views: 821
07-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fascinating photos.

I always remember that famous movie film of the original bridge collapsing being shown in school to me.

Did they reuse any of the old bridge (towers etc?) or was everything newly built to avoid the same problem.
07-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Fascinating photos.

I always remember that famous movie film of the original bridge collapsing being shown in school to me.

Did they reuse any of the old bridge (towers etc?) or was everything newly built to avoid the same problem.
Thanks You know, I have no idea if they re-used the original piers or not. About all I could find was a snippet of information in wikipedia on the towers:

Dismantling of the towers and side spansówhich survived the collapse of the main span but were damaged beyond repairóbegan shortly after the collapse and continued into May 1943. The United States' participation in World War II as well as engineering and finance issues delayed plans to replace the bridge.

But nothing about the piers supporting them...

Jim
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a look at that Wikipedia page, doesn't go into much detail about anything.

I'll do a bit of research and see if I can dig up anything.

Thanks.

07-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Looks like you guys had a good 4th, and great weather -- can actually see the mountain. I've driven over that bridge a lot, but have never walked across it. My wife is heading to Wenatchee, WA tomorrow for a 2-month visit with our son/grandson (I have to work) and she is hoping for a break from the scorching northern VA weather, but looks like it is going to be near 100 there on Sunday.
07-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Looks like you guys had a good 4th, and great weather -- can actually see the mountain. I've driven over that bridge a lot, but have never walked across it. My wife is heading to Wenatchee, WA tomorrow for a 2-month visit with our son/grandson (I have to work) and she is hoping for a break from the scorching northern VA weather, but looks like it is going to be near 100 there on Sunday.
We've been here nearly 2 years, we cross the darn thing nearly every day, and this was the first time we've set foot on it... It was indeed a gorgeous day and a fun thing to do, even if we missed out on the airshow. Wenatchee might be warm, but hey "It's a DRY heat" WAY better than Virginia heat! Been to NoVa in the summer - there's a damn good reason our ancestors invented A/C!! Bet your wife enjoys the trip, she will get to skip the worst of it (and I suppose seeing the family is a bonus too )

JIM
07-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who would think to name a bridge Galloping Gertie. Nice to see Rainer again. Thanks for sharing your day and glad you had great weather.
07-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Who would think to name a bridge Galloping Gertie.
Did you ever see that film taken of the original bridge in about 1940?

Watching that certainly makes you realize why the workers called it that when they were building it.

07-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice photos of the bridge.There is plenty of footage of the collapse on "you tube". Here is one.--charliezap
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Who would think to name a bridge Galloping Gertie. Nice to see Rainer again. Thanks for sharing your day and glad you had great weather.
Thanks, Susan. Yep, that film clip really shows why she got that name... The wonders of YouTube!

Oh, I was poking around in the links about the bridges' histories, and I found a mention of an insurance settlement for the failure of the bridge, and it mentioned that the bridge decking, cables, and towers were salvaged for the steel, and that the concrete piers were the only thing reusable. Another mention in that page said they were used for the "new" 1950 bridge. :-)

Jim
07-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for that info Jim. I was curious and now I know.

So when you're travelling on the 1950 bridge you are really travelling on history.