Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A bit of everything
Lens: DA L 55-300, FA77, Panagor 90 macro Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Virginia 
Posted By: loco, 07-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Sorry there is no common theme here. These are just some shots I've gotten in the past few weeks that I like.

Some may know about the "derecho" storms that hit a huge area from Ohio through the VA/MD/DC area last week. It knocked power out to millions of people during one of the worst heat waves in recent memory. I was without power for five days, enduring 98-100 degree heat every day with no AC and no water. My 13 cats were miserable, but they seemed to handle it better than I did!

As a result, I haven't been on the forums a lot. Mostly keeping up with the K-30 threads as I am seriously considering one. Anyway, enough of my sob story!! I hope you enjoy this mishmash of images.

I really like the photo of "Mama Kitty". Personally, it's one of my favorite cat shots I've taken and one of my favorite FA77 shots. Thanks for looking and have a great weekend!

DA L 55-300

Panagor 90/2.8 macro lens

FA 77 at f/1.8 (I might see a tiny bit of "pixie dust" in this one. )

FA 77 at f/1.8

Views: 639
07-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love that mantis shot Lori, it looks like he is looking up to as to say "hey its hot, please help". You're right about Mama, that 77mm really brings out the textures, color and bokeh. I wondered if you were effected during the wind storms, that must of been miserable with the heat/humidity. Glad you're back with us. Bob
07-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow these are great, especially liking the last one. Looks like a very good lens.
07-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really striking images! Perfect focus on the kitty! And I think the pixie dust comes the photographer not the lens. Great series.

07-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of 'em are fantastic!

Mama Kitty is my favorite - and yes, there is definitely some pixie-dust going on there - but then again I am a serious feline-lovin' fella!
07-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Lori these are super fantastic... each one is perfect and enjoyable to view. Is Pride a female cardinal? That is a wonderful image, love the seed in her mouth. Praying Mantis' are my favourite insect. When I was a kid I had a real bond with them... I'd go for a nature walk and I'd have ten of them hitching a ride on my shoulders. They are one of the most interesting creatures alive. Mama Kitty is so regal... great shot! And a lovely capture of the coneflower. Love the bokeh and composition.

That must have been a difficult and isolating 5 days for you. I am so happy you have your power back and that you have returned to this lit little community inside the computer monitor!
07-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A real nice eclectic series of shots well done Lori.---charliezap
07-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Lori!!!! These are just wonderful, That mantis is up there with the best, and a very nice kitty. Coneflower is just beautiful

Thank you so much for these, Hope all is going better for you now.

cmohr

07-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super images Lori. The mantis and the last flower shot are really special. I think that is a Tufted Titmouse in the first one? I'm a cat lover also so really love mama kitty.
07-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Love that mantis shot Lori, it looks like he is looking up to as to say "hey its hot, please help". You're right about Mama, that 77mm really brings out the textures, color and bokeh. I wondered if you were effected during the wind storms, that must of been miserable with the heat/humidity. Glad you're back with us. Bob
LOL, I think you're right about the mantis, Bob! Thanks for the kind words, always appreciate your comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Wow these are great, especially liking the last one. Looks like a very good lens.
Thank you so much, GeoJerry!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
Really striking images! Perfect focus on the kitty! And I think the pixie dust comes the photographer not the lens. Great series.
Nice of you to say, Dice! Thank you!!

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
All of 'em are fantastic!

Mama Kitty is my favorite - and yes, there is definitely some pixie-dust going on there - but then again I am a serious feline-lovin' fella!
Well, that puts you pretty high up in my book! Thank you, luftfluss!

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Lori these are super fantastic... each one is perfect and enjoyable to view. Is Pride a female cardinal? That is a wonderful image, love the seed in her mouth. Praying Mantis' are my favourite insect. When I was a kid I had a real bond with them... I'd go for a nature walk and I'd have ten of them hitching a ride on my shoulders. They are one of the most interesting creatures alive. Mama Kitty is so regal... great shot! And a lovely capture of the coneflower. Love the bokeh and composition.

That must have been a difficult and isolating 5 days for you. I am so happy you have your power back and that you have returned to this lit little community inside the computer monitor!
Awww, what nice comments, Tess! Thanks so much, they are very much appreciated! Actually, the bird is a Tufted Titmouse. They are related to chickadees, I believe, as they make the same noises. Cute little things! I have always loved praying mantises, too. I once had one I interacted with all summer named "Triangle". LOL It's sad they don't live very long.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A real nice eclectic series of shots well done Lori.---charliezap
Thank you, Charlie! Glad you like them!

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Lori!!!! These are just wonderful, That mantis is up there with the best, and a very nice kitty. Coneflower is just beautiful

Thank you so much for these, Hope all is going better for you now.

cmohr
How nice!! Thanks very much for those kind words!! Yes, things are much better now that power is restored. Fortunately, they are calling for lower temps and some rain next week. I can't believe I'm actually happy about rain.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Super images Lori. The mantis and the last flower shot are really special. I think that is a Tufted Titmouse in the first one? I'm a cat lover also so really love mama kitty.
Thank you so much, Susan! Glad you like them!!