Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Photos from Theodore Roosevelt National Park
Lens: SMC Takumar 55mm F1.8, Tair 3 300mm F4.5 Preset Camera: K20D Photo Location: Theodore Roosevelt National Park, ND ISO: 100 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 07-10-2012, 02:23 PM

Here are a few photos taken from Theodore Roosevelt National Park, located in Western North Dakota. I stopped there to camp during a motorcycle trip I took this past week to Minnesota and back.

I didn't take many photos of the park itself as I got there at around 6:30 and was too tired to go out hiking and left early the next morning. It's a shame I didn't have more time to spend there as it looked like a great place to go explore.

The landscape images were taken with my SMC Takumar 55mm F1.8 lens set to F9.5, the wildlife photos were taken with my Tair 3 300mm F4.5 lens set to F5.6.

Here is the river I camped by during my (short) stay in the park.

And a couple of photos from an overlook

I woke up at 5:30 the next morning and packed the bike up. There were a few visitors around the tent that morning.

Wild horses and a few bison.

I wish I had more time to spend there. I had to get back to work the next day, but I plan on going back when I have more time.

Last edited by Colorado CJ; 07-10-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Views: 819
07-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very colorful detailed shots.Thanks for sharing.---charliezap
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very enjoyable - every one is terrific.

Jer
07-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent set; makes me want to see this lesser-known park for myself.

07-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a great park. The North Unit is my favorite of the two halves but both of them are beautiful. Do go back. Your camera will really get a workout.
07-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Very colorful detailed shots.Thanks for sharing.---charliezap
Thank you. The overlook was called "Painted Canyon" and I suppose in the right light, those colors would really stand out.
07-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Very enjoyable - every one is terrific.

Jer
Thanks Jer, glad you liked them!

07-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Excellent set; makes me want to see this lesser-known park for myself.
Thank you. Yeah, I guess it is not a well known park. It is the location of Teddy Roosevelt's first and second ranches before he became president and it is where he (supposedly) learned his love for the west and founded his conservation efforts in later life.

I think I'll pick up a book or two and read about it, sounds like it might make for some interesting reading. It would be nice to know more about the area and its history before I go back there.
07-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
This is a great park. The North Unit is my favorite of the two halves but both of them are beautiful. Do go back. Your camera will really get a workout.
I'll definitely be going back. It is a little over 550 miles from home, but it would make for a nice long weekend photography trip. Kicking myself now that I couldn't spend more time there, had to get back to work though.