Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Otway Ranges
Posted By: roentarre, 01-25-2008, 12:38 AM

Since I have taken some time off, a visit to this wonderful national park is planned.

Altogether there should be 7 falls in the area but most roads were closed off for "road widening project". How annoying!

I had eaten only fish and chips for 3 meals and drank beer like a water drinking fish. What an interesting break for me. Damn! I have to go back to work soon...

Da 14

Beauchumps waterfall - one hour walking track. Misquitos were just too big in this area where they did not fear insect repellent at all

Fa 43 ltd

Hopetoun waterfall

Fa 31 ltd

Da 14

Tripplet waterfall

There are just too many shots to process. Sometimes I wish I could just shoot Jpegs and leave it as it is.

p.s. Every leaf I touched left a beautiful scent to my finger tips and they are still with me since no shower for 2 days hehehe

With all the hype of k20d, I would wait and see how it will perform in the days to come. k10d still takes better pictures comparing to 5D - plenty of reservation about CMOS sensor!!!!

Regards
Views: 2,758
01-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
This is the Australia that the rest of the world rarely gets to see.

Our impression is mainly one of beaches, reefs, then massive deserts and swamps occupying the whole interior of the continent, with Ayer's Rock just to add a little bit of spice.

Thanks for the enlightenment.
Thanks Tom. Actually I have not yet visited Ayer's rock because it is quite expensive to travel to the area . I doubted I could survive the flies flying around me in the area. (one day I will be there)

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Thanks for sharing your trip with us, you have some wonderful photos to remember it by.

Take care, Heinrich
Your travel scenery photos are so beautiful that I want to visit Canada too

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I love the area. My daughter and grandchildren live in Warrnambool, so I have done a bit of touring arouind many areas in Victoria. Have visited the Great Ocean Road so many times, (but not since I have had a digital camera. (it is overdue I think)
Love the area and you are wetting my appetite again.
I decided to stay in Victoria instead since I have not really organised the cabins in Mt Field National park when I am off work...

Still, this has been a relaxing break for me

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Thanks for the beautiful images james, it is a welcome sight on a cold night in the northern parts (I really don't like the cold)
But you get to see snow and take photographs of the winter, right? I think I will be travelling less in the next few months (for work dedication and promotion). So take more photos while I can.

QuoteOriginally posted by pw-pix Quote
The greens are not as saturated and irridescent/luminous in real life.
I see. Apology for making green too green. But the images are reflection of what I saw and felt. 2 Merumi polariser with ND 8+ will give you this colour for sure. Plus waiting in the area til the sun dissapears with overcast weather. Otherwise, most of the images I saw for these waterfall shots are purely clipped corners everywhere with "natural" white forest foliage and stuffed up harsh waterfall flow.

01-26-2008, 05:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
your "national park" is more of a tropical getaway for some of us
It is actually of cool climate in the area, not too warm with breeze.

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I spent 3 weeks in Melbourne and my hosts never took me to such places - I hate 'em more today than I did yesterday.
Hopefully things are working out for you. Sure you would have seen other things in Melbourne

QuoteOriginally posted by LED Quote
Really beautiful pictures.
In fact, most part of Victoria here are arid dry at the moment. Hard to find some green at the moment in my state.

QuoteOriginally posted by shahnavaz Quote
Wow, they are beautiful shot
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Hi James,

Nice series of images. Pretty refreshing and lushly verdant environment. Liked image 6 the most as I have always wished to walk in a cycad forest. I'll have to head down to NZ someday or maybe visit you on an eventual long term stay in OZ.

What tripod are you using on these forays?

BTW, don't worry about the K20D images. I have seen quite a few images over the past few months and I can assure you it is a quantum leap in imaging in this sensor size. And these were in very early (sub ver .39) beta. 1.0 will look even better. knowing you, you will have the camera before it is even stocked on the shelf.

Stephen
I wanna travel to NZ several times as well but not enough time for me to take an overseas trip for some proper exploration of the southern Island.

I used Manfrotto 141 which was a gift from a friend 9 years ago. Sturdy, light made from Aluminium.

Your word is worth gold and k20d will be back on my list as soon as it is officially available
01-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fula6 Quote
Some really gorgeous photos there. It is a beautriful area of the world. I was down there in July last year and didn't get much opportunity to explore except for Triplet Falls. I really like the misty shots and of course the greens in the rainforest shots are superb. The 'off angle' shot is something differnet also - nice shots and I want to come back!
There was also a Lady Aire Fall which I did not explore at all. The walk was about 2.5 hour return. So I kind of back off on the day.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Great pictures! That is a such a cool looking place, I'd love a chance to visit. A sight for sore eyes to a guy stuck in a deep freeze, thank you:-).
It is in deed a great place to relax in hot warm wae

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Beautiful shots, and some gorgeous country too. Thanks for the tour!
Thanks. It is always a habbit to show images from a trip.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow James it is so nice to see such green and lush vegetation this time of year for me. Looks like those primes are prime indeed. Great shots , Australia is on my 'Bucket List' for sure. Enjoy the time off after all it is pretty much why we work eh
Primes are really handy when a long hike is contemplated. Only have Da 14mm and 43 mm with me. Not heavy to carry and handy. Reliable image quality too.
01-26-2008, 05:35 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pw-pix Quote
Such places aren't in Melbourne.
2-3 hour drive along the southwest coast.
The first location spelt Beauchamp Falls.
I live in Geelong which is 3/4- 1.5 hours from these locations.
The greens are not as saturated and irridescent/luminous in real life.
Thanks for the spelling correction pw-pix. In regard to the iridescences of the greens, I have been to many rainforsets and have found that dependant on the time of day and the quality of light, the greens can be exactly like roentarre has indicated in the shots.

01-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
High contrast to the other color we have here (white).
Seems like a magical place and your images gave me the desire to go and participate.
01-27-2008, 03:19 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
I guess if the light was just so and you used a polariser then the fresh growth might really be that green :-)