Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Katherine Gorge
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 07-13-2012, 05:08 AM

Katherine Gorge, Northern Territory, has to be one of the most beautiful places in Australia. About 4 hours south of Darwin, it was to my mind, the highlight of our trip. Guided tours by barge are operated by the Jawoyn people. This was during the "Dry' season. In the Wet the gorge becomes a raging torrent.

The colours of the rocks and reflections are simply stunning. These were mostly shot with the DA 18-55 AL WR with polariser.

One of the locals

A Johnson River Crocodile locally known as a Freshwater Crocodile or "Freshy" These grow to 2-3 metres in lenght and feed on fish, crustacians, frogs and insects. They are very shy and pose no threat to humans, quite unlike their Saltwater cousins.

Views: 1,660
07-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing images! I love the scenery, the colours and reflections, and the rock faces really speak to me. Thank you so much for sharing this part of your trip!

Regarding the croc... they pose no threat to humans, so I assume you do swim in the river? Very nice shot and I am glad you explained how shy they are. I appreciate the image even more.

07-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
Forum Member

Stunning Landscape
07-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Amazing images! I love the scenery, the colours and reflections, and the rock faces really speak to me. Thank you so much for sharing this part of your trip!

Regarding the croc... they pose no threat to humans, so I assume you do swim in the river? Very nice shot and I am glad you explained how shy they are. I appreciate the image even more.
Thank you for your comments and yes people do swim there. However during the wet season floods, the large and extremely dangerous Estuarine or Saltwater Crocodile, commonly called "Salty" can enter the gorge. These are quickly and humanely trapped and relocated. Until the all clear is given it is an extremely foolish person who enters the water.
07-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Nice work Bruce, it's a challenging place to get good shots with the shadows falling the way they do.

Did you go to Edith Falls at all? Wonderful spot.
Yes I had to spend a bit of time lightening up some areas. If we had more time there maybe there is an ideal time of day to photograph each section of gorge but on a guided tour I did not have that luxury. We called in briefly at Edith falls and I have a few pictures from there which I can post. It is definitely on my go back to list.

07-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
Pulled the colours up nicely on these Bruce. You heading North or South? Are we going to see the Devils Marbles with the sun setting behind them, Or Uluru next?
Hi. We flew into and out of Darwin. The "official" reason for the trip was a family wedding. The Katherine excursion was an overnight trip. No marbles on this trip - sorry. On a previous journey also hasty I must add, My brother and I drove through Katherine from MT Isa. We stopped briefly at the Flynn Memorial at the "Three Ways" but I understand the true Deveils Marbles are further South and we did not go that way.
07-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Yes I had to spend a bit of time lightening up some areas. If we had more time there maybe there is an ideal time of day to photograph each section of gorge but on a guided tour I did not have that luxury. We called in briefly at Edith falls and I have a few pictures from there which I can post. It is definitely on my go back to list.
I imagine you'd have to visit the different parts of the gorge at different times of day to get the best of it which would become a) expensive and b) time consuming.

If you didn't walk up to the upper pools on your visit to Edith Falls it's highly recommended when you go back, it knocks the socks of the lower pool and you can swim up there all year round.