Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Nshongi mountain gorilla's, Uganda
Posted By: EricR, 07-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Visited the mountain gorilla's in Uganda last month while I was on holiday for three weeks. The experience of a lifetime and we were lucky we encountered the group quite early in the morning. Later in the day the light is more harsh and the gorilla's are also more active in the morning.

We had some close encounters, two silverbacks crossed our paths and one of those encounters one of the silverbacks came within half a meter from where I was standing.

A recommended activity when you plan to visit either Uganda or Rwanda in the near future. It 's get more expensive every year now but it's still more than worth the steep price to see those gorilla's for an hour.
Views: 1,967
07-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Superb photos of beautiful creatures.
Did you get any photos of the fully-grown silverback?
Did he display any warning like breaking branches?

I remember watching a show called Wild Boyz and they were following a family of gorillas when suddenly the silverback ran by and snapped a tree (coke can thick) trunk clean in half in one simple motion and ran off.
It's amazing the amount of trust these creatures put in us humans by allowing us into their world.

07-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Superb photos of beautiful creatures.
Did you get any photos of the fully-grown silverback?
Did he display any warning like breaking branches?

I remember watching a show called Wild Boyz and they were following a family of gorillas when suddenly the silverback ran by and snapped a tree (coke can thick) trunk clean in half in one simple motion and ran off.
It's amazing the amount of trust these creatures put in us humans by allowing us into their world.
#4 is the alfamale of the group also the namegiver of this particular group (Nshongi). Also saw the other silverbacks in the group, the close encounters were with one of the other silverbacks, this group had 5 silverbacks and after a split 3 remain.

No breaking of branches but I got in the way of one of the silverbacks (Bweza most likely) and I had to make way to let him pass. Looked him in the eyes by accident but quickly turned my back and stepped aside to let the silverback move on his path. Less than a meter between us.

I only got the back of this silverback, he stopped to block the path in front of us but moved along after a short moment. Getting shots of the juvenile and female gorillas is easier, the silverbacks are more protective and moving all the time. Also saw some infants but could net get a good shot of them.

At the end of the juveniles (most likely Ruheruka) put on a little show and walked over a branch within 2 meters of us. We had to move back a little bit to make room.

Got the names from :

Friend a Gorilla (not updated with the latest info because Mishaya formed his own group)
07-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Impressive series Eric!