Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
One of the World's Rarest Birds - Courtois' Laughing Thrush
Posted By: Frogfish, 07-15-2012, 10:55 AM

My trip to WuYuan was primarily in search of this bird, Courtois' Laughing Thrush, (and the Pied Falconets - though they are not endangered) armed with information on the exact locations in WuYuan where these very rare birds can be found (this information is not widely available and is just being passed on from birder to birder).

This is a little information on how endangered these birds are :

Even though the available data on courtoisi are still quite limited, enough is known to draw some tentative conclusions as to its status - given the fact that the known birds are now totally in one local population, with 150-160 individuals and in one small area only. In accordance with the latest version of the IUCN Red List Criteria 2000, (17) the subspecies courtoisi certainly qualifies as Endangered (EN), and quite possibly even Critically Endangered (CR), given its presumed population size and the range it actually seems to occupy. For example, of the four breeding sites of this taxon which have been located, none is larger than 10 ha in total size, which shows how phenomenally circumscribed the breeding territory of this relict subspecies has become.

The results of our exhaustive field searches reveal that the first, and for a long time also the only, record of Courtois's Laughingthrush, though nearly a century old, is by no means an incidental one. There has evidently long been a very small, remnant population of the bird tenaciously surviving in Wuyuan - and only Wuyuan.

In the last 10 years, the local authorities and government in Wuyuan County have been making constant efforts in conservation, including the delimiting of so-called Mini-Protected Areas (MPAs), with ranges varying from a few hectares to hundreds of hectares or even more. When field studies on courtoisi were initiated, more than 180 MPAs had already been established, which cover a remarkable portion of the territory of Wuyuan and should bode well for the future of the birds.

I hope you enjoy these shots at least part as much as I did taking them !

Two for Joy

And Baby Makes Three

Fluff

Fatty Bum Bum

Rainbow (sorry not great IQ but it amused me so I hope you enjoy it too) !

The Eyes Have It

Don't Bug Me !

Views: 1,565
07-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
That is an extremely nice set of images and I do thank you for the narrative, puts things in the right perspective.
Many thanks Heinrich ! I'm pleased you enjoyed the thread.

07-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw this on CE Kevin, but just wanted to say that besides enjoying the view of the rare bird, I especially enjoyed the narrative you presented. It is nice to view and learn at the same time. thanks Bob
07-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great work froggy....