Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Art?
Posted By: Tom Lusk, 01-25-2008, 01:05 PM

or garbage?

This was not deliberate, you can bet. What do you think? If nothing else it provides some comic relief at a time when we need some, huh?
Views: 4,212
01-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No offense Tom, but it doesn't do much for me. But I'm kinda weird on what I like and don't like so maybe its me.

Jim
01-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not much for me wither Tom too much white space between the bird and shadow I don't know art , but I know what I don't like Maybe a different color on the background .... I am sure that are some there would love it -

Last edited by daacon; 01-25-2008 at 01:24 PM.
01-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dang it!

My first foray into accidental high key, artsy photography, and now surely my last.

Back to the drawing board...

01-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Tom,
Don't know how you did it, but you got to call it art. Just look at Frans Latings work---he made a fortune selling blurry wildlife shots in Outdoor Photographer. Had a wedding photographer one time that if his flash under exposed he would tell the bride they were "mood" shots. LOL
01-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd send it off to one of the stock photo agencies. They LOVE stuff like this!!! Also, rock band ad agencies - the ones who do most of the cover art designs - also pick up items like this off of stock photo sites.

I like it though. Maybe a little buring in the shadow being cast below it to darken that a bit more. Then, send it off and see if ya make some money with it!
01-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Uh,

you guys are kidding, right?

Edit- just checked out Lanting's site. The places he's been and the nature he's been able to capture! Thanks for pointing me in his direction, Kent.

I can't say I saw anything remotely similar to my latest masterpiece, though.

Last edited by Tom Lusk; 01-25-2008 at 02:23 PM.
01-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
you guys are kidding, right?

Edit- just checked out Lanting's site. The places he's been and the nature he's been able to capture! Thanks for pointing me in his direction, Kent.

I can't say I saw anything remotely similar to my latest masterpiece, though.
Kent was porbably joking, but GL probably wasn't. On it's own it's fairly meh. But as something I might integrate into a page layout.. background to newsletter text, lo-fi album or book cover art, somethign with a letterhead or business card, where it's two color harsh contrast might work.. it could be of value to someone.

It's got some kind-of-neat potential, just not all by it's lonesome. So as a standalone photo.. meh.. Doesn't mean it's useless.
01-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes - One of the most important clients to stock photo agencies is advertising. And for advertising, they typically only look for photos with "writable" area large enough to hold the content they want to get out to the masses. I've had some success with 2 thus far and they both were used, to the best of my knowledge, through advertising agencies that need room to print.

I would send it in. istockphoto.com is a good starting point. Do some research on stock agencies and then go for it. What do you have to loose??? NOTHING!!!
01-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I really like it. Minimalist, I love the starkness too.
01-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Back in the film days there were special developers and techniques to get this very style. Litho printing. Framed on a wall it might look really good.
01-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I kind of like it, how did you get that effect???
01-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tom

It's a soon-to-be-patented technique called

shoot a black bird flying with a snow background with harsh overhead sunlight and over-expose, uh, intentionally.

Very difficult to master. Do not try at home.
01-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ahhhh you forgot the best part -- under those conditions a lesser lens would give you a big purple blob
01-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Art vs Copy Mill

I like the effect / result. It reminds me of high contrast copy film that I use to play around with in my home B&W darkroom. Silkscreen people used to beg for this kind of stuff.
Art (the act of putting everything you are, have been, out on a ledge for others to kick or love) is much more subjective than basic photos (most photos are image capturing copies, not creations). Of course you can create with the camera - when you do (see definition of art, and welcome to the ledge).

To all those that think taking a picture of a bowl of fruit is art, no it is the copy mill (if you were to arrange the fruit so that it looked like a New Cannon camera........ well that is just a waste of good fruit - ha ha (ok, it would be art, a little bit)