Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Star Wars Identities
Lens: Pentax DA50-135mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Montreal Science Center, Old Port 
Posted By: FrancisK7, 07-15-2012, 11:00 PM

STAR WARS: IDENTITIES | THE EXHIBITION

World Premiere currently showing in Montréal, Canada
Info: Star Wars Identities The Exhibition ? Get to know the characters

What's the exhibition about? From their website:

QuoteQuote:

Explore the characters of Star Wars™ in this unique travelling exhibition.

Two heroes.
They share the same genes. They come from the same planet. So what makes them so different?
Follow Luke and Anakin Skywalker, cinema’s preeminent father and son duo, from their origins on Tatooine, to the friends and mentors they meet during adolescence, through the choices they make that will define them as adults.
A stunning collection of Star Wars costumes, models, props, and artwork allows you to see these two heroes and all the other unforgettable characters of Star Wars in a whole new way.
And at the same time, a unique interactive identity quest allows you to design your own Star Wars Hero, putting you in the center of the action, and asking...
What forces shape YOU?
I visited the exhibition on July 7 2012 at the Montreal Science Center in the Old Port. Admission was 23$ per person. Photography (no tripod, no monopod, no flash) was allowed. I hope the exhibition visits your city soon if you are a Star Wars fan. Seeing some original costumes, artwork and concept art, most accompanied by audio support that provides an interesting backstory to each piece, was absolutely awesome. The interactive experience is kind of gimmicky and will appeal mostly to the young children or perhaps teenagers. Here are some of the pieces I saw.

All of these were shot with the K5 and DA35 Macro lens at ISO1600 f2/.8.

3. Ponda Baba
"One of the few surviving artifacts from the cantina scene, this mask war worn by Timmy Ilsley as Ponda Baba. The pirate is best remembered for trying to attack Luke Skywalker in the Mos Eisley cantina and losing his arm to Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber in the process."

4. Full Sized Replica of the Pod Racer

6. Original Artwork Painting, post-production

7. Da bikini!

8. Original concept artwork

9. Master

10. Original Yoda concept artwork

11. Original Yoda concept artwork (yup, this is real. I'm not even kidding)

12. Geeky chart
"Relative speed / Maneuverability chart: Developed in post-production for publication purposes, this chart appears to refute Lando Calrissian's claim that the Millennium Falcon is the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy. MGLT stands for 'megalight', a fictional unit distance first documented in this chart."

13. Falcon Model
"The Millennium Falcon: The original model of Han Solo's famous pirate freighter built for Star Wars: A New Hope was too big for the more acrobatic stunts required of the Falcon in Empire; this one is exactly half the size of its predecessor."

14. Anakin's Jedi Robe in ROTS

15. Anakin's Lightsaber prop in ROTS

16. Unsure whether this is "the" original costume

17. Early Vader: original Vader concept art

Hope you get to see it in person!

Last edited by FrancisK7; 07-16-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Views: 2,419
07-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man,I love Star Wars.
Thanks for sharing the photos.
07-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Closed Account

Very cool series of shots. Thanks for taking me back to the time when I saw Star Wars during it's first release!
07-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Talk about geek chic. Wow. I've always loved the original artwork and posters for SW. Unlike most people I'm a total Luke devotee. I like Leia and Han too but for me the series was always about Luke and his hero's journey. I did not like the prequels much actually. The original poster for SW is on my cork board actually. I have post card they gave me at the theater when I first went as a wee kid. Yeah, I'm that old that I saw it first run.

I saw ESB 6X and ROTJ about 36X as I recall. I went every day nearly for more than a month until they changed movies. I had a small roll of comp tickets that the theater manager gave me after he noticed I'd seen the film a few times. I worked in that mall, knew him vaguely as a customer. We sold a lot of fantasy art stuff. He was a total SW geek himself and realized I was going to see it every day for as long as my paycheck held out so he comped me and my BFF who was also a SW geek and who was going with me nearly every day. Ewoks or not I just loved Jedi. Seeing Luke and Leia kick Jabba's bloated arse just made me laugh, every time. Vader's redemption made me cry, every time. Still does.

My favorite character besides Luke is his late wife Mara Jade. I'll leave the debate as to whether or not she's canon to film purists. Me, I just love Mara and I was truly TICKED when they killed her off. I haven't read a SW book since. Still love the first 3 films though. I watch them 2X a year. It's a ritual with me.

07-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mara Jade is the bomb
Darth Revan is the best Sith Lord
07-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #6

Nice shots! Thanks for sharing. Hope the exhibit makes it down to Calgary, if not I'll be making the drive up to Edmonton!
07-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was gonna say, I think Edmonton is next!

07-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Very cool star wars exhibit!