Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Who doesn't like a lobster roll--except Slowpez?-A poll
Posted By: charliezap, 07-17-2012, 08:37 AM

Susan said "A lobster roll is a horrible waste of good lobster meat served on a hot dog bun to boot." If she said that anywhere here in the Northeast she would be convicted of heresy in a heartbeat.Lobster rolls if made right on a buttery bun are a gastronomical treat.Even the D'angelo sandwich chain here in the Northeast makes a decent one that is actually pretty good.I'm a good sport and Susan if your ever in this area give me a shout and the treats on me.This thread is meant in a fun way so anyone can weigh in with a vote as to their like or not when it comes to a New England area "lobsta roll"---charliezap

Attached Images

Views: 2,667
07-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Looks to me like I am being unfairly picked on. I had to go hunting through my archives to find a photo of the atrocity we were fed. Does this look like what Charlie is showing a photo of - noooooooooo. Nice big chunks of lobster though but that bun. What an atrocity.
The place was recommended in Wiscasset, MA and this is the reason we were so disappointed. I didn't even get to the greasy onion rings.
Hope you don't enjoy this, it really was awful. And Charlie, I'm going to hold you to your offer (but no chain restaurants please.)
The place that you went to in Wiscasset Me is supposed to be a real good place for sea food "Red's eats".Maybe you caught it on an off day. The offer is open if you are in the area.---charliezap

07-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I didn't know such a thing existed till I saw this thread. To my surprise I also found that the Office cafeteria serves these on Fridays! I'm going to try one for the first time on Friday and vote afterwards.
You may be very disappointed.All lobsters are not equal.The best and preferred ones are from the cold waters in the Northeast around the Boston Ma area.--charliezap
07-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If I was on a deserted island, I'd probably choose to starve to death before I eat any of "that stuff". I can do "fish sticks", and crab in a pinch though.
I'm curious.What is it about lobsters that you don't like?Have you tried the myriad ways that it can be prepared?---charliezap
07-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I'm curious.What is it about lobsters that you don't like?Have you tried the myriad ways that it can be prepared?---charliezap
I guess they all look creepy to me.

07-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Not all people like fish of any kind and lobsters and crabs can be a little daunting in person if you haven't grown up eating them. I remember seeing my first one. I thought it was truly ugly and I was afraid to eat it. I was like 5. My Mom was willing to share but I disdained it for the fried shrimp except for a bite. I wasn't all that impressed with lobster. I'm still not. I don't think lobsters are exactly beautiful though I do find them interesting to watch when I see them at a store in the water here.

Every now and again you can see one of those or some crabs in our bayou under the docks but they're illegal to take. Too small, they're the wrong kind of lobster IMHO, and I'm not too sure anything from our bayou would be safe to eat besides. I've seen people crabbing and fishing there but I don't like the looks of those when I see them in the buckets. But they're way down on the list of my favorite fish. Offer me shrimp and I'll pass the lobster up every time.

FYI, I don't like "all" fish. Like I said elsewhere I groove on good shrimp but I don't eat clams and the like. I'm an all white meat, not too "fishy" kind of fish person. I don't like salmon much. I don't do little sardines or canned herring. Forget anchovies, ick. Or sea things with many legs. Squid, octopus, no way. I prefer Cod or Tilapia, occasionally Grouper, Mahi Mahi or Blue Fish though it has to be all the white bits or I don't want it. I only eat tongol tuna, not albacore or yellow fin because I don't like them as much. They're just too fishy tasting for me. Once I'd had Tongol I never looked back. I don't care if it is 50 cents more a can. It's not all metallic and fishy like the other stuff. Compared to Tongol eating regular tuna now is like contemplating eating cat food.

There's a lot at the local fish markets I'm not going near but what I do like I really like. My aunt actually doesn't like much fish except for shrimp and lobster. She won't touch fried or baked fish at all. Doesn't even want me to cook it in her house. I get that. Some smells just nauseate if you don't like what's cooking. I'm that way about liver and onions or sauerkraut. I can't even stand to be in the same house with them.
07-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Not all people like fish of any kind and lobsters and crabs can be a little daunting in person if you haven't grown up eating them. I remember seeing my first one. I thought it was truly ugly and I was afraid to eat it. I was like 5. My Mom was willing to share but I disdained it for the fried shrimp except for a bite. I wasn't all that impressed with lobster. I'm still not. I don't think lobsters are exactly beautiful though I do find them interesting to watch when I see them at a store in the water here.

Every now and again you can see one of those or some crabs in our bayou under the docks but they're illegal to take. Too small, they're the wrong kind of lobster IMHO, and I'm not too sure anything from our bayou would be safe to eat besides. I've seen people crabbing and fishing there but I don't like the looks of those when I see them in the buckets. But they're way down on the list of my favorite fish. Offer me shrimp and I'll pass the lobster up every time.

FYI, I don't like "all" fish. Like I said elsewhere I groove on good shrimp but I don't eat clams and the like. I'm an all white meat, not too "fishy" kind of fish person. I don't like salmon much. I don't do little sardines or canned herring. Forget anchovies, ick. Or sea things with many legs. Squid, octopus, no way. I prefer Cod or Tilapia, occasionally Grouper, Mahi Mahi or Blue Fish though it has to be all the white bits or I don't want it. I only eat tongol tuna, not albacore or yellow fin because I don't like them as much. They're just too fishy tasting for me. Once I'd had Tongol I never looked back. I don't care if it is 50 cents more a can. It's not all metallic and fishy like the other stuff. Compared to Tongol eating regular tuna now is like contemplating eating cat food.

There's a lot at the local fish markets I'm not going near but what I do like I really like. My aunt actually doesn't like much fish except for shrimp and lobster. She won't touch fried or baked fish at all. Doesn't even want me to cook it in her house. I get that. Some smells just nauseate if you don't like what's cooking. I'm that way about liver and onions or sauerkraut. I can't even stand to be in the same house with them.
Thanks for taking the time to comment.As a show of appreciation I will post a thread later that will change a lot of minds concerning lobster.-charliezap
07-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I guess they all look creepy to me.
The lobstermen themselves refer to them as "bugs" so I can see where the creepy comes in. New England lobster can be prepared in a plethora of different ways that will tickle your tonsils to ecstasy. Expand your horizons and come out of the "shell" so to speak.---charliezap

07-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks charlie !!!!!!!!!! just had to clean the drool off my keyboard... dave m
07-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
thanks charlie !!!!!!!!!! just had to clean the drool off my keyboard... dave m
I knew that you would be a loyal lobster lobbyist Dave.Be sure to check out the follow up thread that I'll be posting later for all those naysayers.--charliezap
07-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #40
Veteran Member

They used to serve these when I was a kid at a restaurant here. They're apparently not true lobsters, nor shrimp either. They're supposedly related to hermit crabs, real crabs and the like. They used to call them Danish Lobsters on the menu. Whatever they really are they made for some good eating. I still remember them and I haven't had them in years.

Seafood Experts
07-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
They used to serve these when I was a kid at a restaurant here. They're apparently not true lobsters, nor shrimp either. They're supposedly related to hermit crabs, real crabs and the like. They used to call them Danish Lobsters on the menu. Whatever they really are they made for some good eating. I still remember them and I haven't had them in years.

Seafood Experts
My wife used to buy Langostino years ago and it made a good sea food pie.I wonder if they make a "Helper" for it.--charliezap