Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Who doesn't like a lobster roll--except Slowpez?-A poll
Posted By: charliezap, 07-17-2012, 08:37 AM

Susan said "A lobster roll is a horrible waste of good lobster meat served on a hot dog bun to boot." If she said that anywhere here in the Northeast she would be convicted of heresy in a heartbeat.Lobster rolls if made right on a buttery bun are a gastronomical treat.Even the D'angelo sandwich chain here in the Northeast makes a decent one that is actually pretty good.I'm a good sport and Susan if your ever in this area give me a shout and the treats on me.This thread is meant in a fun way so anyone can weigh in with a vote as to their like or not when it comes to a New England area "lobsta roll"---charliezap

Attached Images

Views: 2,670
07-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Even a "bad" lobster roll is good! Count me in....
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Never tried one, but shrimp po' boys in New Orleans - I kill for those
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I wonder if this is pure lobster meat Charlie, sort of looks like those salads we buy in the market, part crab and God knows what else. I will take the good old lobster in shell please, while you're at it, make it two
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I love lobster, shrimp, crab! All that. I'm not crazy about fish except for halibut.

Those lobster rolls look great, Charlie! My one regret when I visited Cape Cod was that I failed to get a real New England lobstah roll! You're bringing back all my regrets with this thread!!
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I still want one ...or two...or more. No response to my offer, and I don't have much else to compare to those.....would a box of frozen Possum Patties be of interest?

Regards!
Around the Boston area and all along the coast NH-Maine the lobster rolls are the real deal. A good stuffed lobsta roll is around $15 and if you get a side of steamed clams with drawn butter and fresh native corn it doesn't get much better than that--charliezap

07-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Around the Boston area and all along the coast NH-Maine the lobster rolls are the real deal. A good stuffed lobsta roll is around $15 and if you get a side of steamed clams with drawn butter and fresh native corn it doesn't get much better than that--charliezap
Send some stat ! God I miss clams as well ... Clam bakes on the shore (after digging them up) with Fresh Corn on the Cob - the big people (I was just a kid) got the Lobster haha but I managed to sneak a piece or two
07-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Spent the month of June along the Maine coast; Lobster was going for $3.99 - $4.99 /pound...(soft shell). I had plenty of homemade rolls with the leftovers....

I'm ready to go back.
07-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lobster is what folks in the NE have to settle for because they don't have Blue Crabs.

07-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Send some stat ! God I miss clams as well ... Clam bakes on the shore (after digging them up) with Fresh Corn on the Cob - the big people (I was just a kid) got the Lobster haha but I managed to sneak a piece or two
Ah the fond memories of days of days gone by Dave.--charliezap
07-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
Den
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I don't like lobster rolls actually. Or shrimp rolls or crab cakes. I like my seafood unadulterated with things like mayo, celery, and onions thanks. I don't even like lemon on my fish like some people do or vinegar on my fish and chips. I can handle breading on fried shrimp and fish, but I don't like crab or lobster patties much. I do have the occasional fish sandwich with tartar sauce but usually I'd rather have part of a lobster tail with a steak and some melted butter. Or boiled shrimp and crabs served at a beach joint table with newspaper on the table and a mallet and nut cracker.

Better yet build me a bonfire clean and skewer the suckers and put them on a rack above some coals. Bake me some corn or a potato in the coals and I'm set. I grew up doing that having clambakes on the beach. (Though for the record I don't like that type of shell fish, any of them. I don't do scallops, oysters, clams or conch.) I'm a shrimp person. Like a bit of lobster once in a while, but I'd rather just eat pink shrimp till I feel like I am going to bust. I feel safer with pink shrimp actually. Some crabs mess with me. Not blue crab which is what I was raised on, or King Crab, but the Dungness. Those suckers, it's like I get gout from them. I stay well away even though they really make for some fine eating...
Mayo, really??? Everything else you mentioned I agree with, wait, except the lemon and vinegar.
Fun subject charlie.
07-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Mayo, really??? Everything else you mentioned I agree with, wait, except the lemon and vinegar. Fun subject charlie.
Yeah, I've seen them use mayo and celery like it's a darned cold crab salad only the sandwich is hot. Or I've seen them put it on the bun before they put the lobster in. Some places the lobster roll is more of a lobster cake. It's just a way to extend the lobster I guess but I think it's cheating. Places like that I'm not really sure the lobster is real, you know? Deep frying a lobster is just obscene, IMHO. Though gourmet lobster cakes are considered a delicacy in some places at fancy parties and such. But that's some people's idea of a lobster roll, a breaded, deep fried patty on a roll with mayo or tartar sauce or something that vaguely resembles a hot seafood salad. My idea of a lobster roll is just fresh chunks of Maine lobster seasoned with a little butter on a nice, fresh, garlic bread toasted long roll. That's it. If you must add bread to lobster then that's the only way I want to see it done. But mostly I prefer my lobster in chunks broiled on a stick over an impromptu beach fire with a side of some shrimp and a little cup of melted butter at the ready. Lobster Kebabs that's the way to go, or a boil on in a big pot like this. This one isn't about lobster per se but this is what we used to do sometimes when we lugged out the big pot and it sounds pretty good actually with the sausages and all. We used to do this with just lobster and shrimp though mostly and the veggies and the crab boil stuff...

Seafood Boil (clambake in a pot!) :: Marthas-Vineyard.Com :: All info for Martha's Vineyard, Martha's Vineyard Lodging, Martha's Vineyard Real Estate

07-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I didn't know such a thing existed till I saw this thread. To my surprise I also found that the Office cafeteria serves these on Fridays! I'm going to try one for the first time on Friday and vote afterwards.
07-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #24
Pentaxian

If I was on a deserted island, I'd probably choose to starve to death before I eat any of "that stuff". I can do "fish sticks", and crab in a pinch though.
07-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry Charlie but I just don't like lobster, Alaska King Crab, shrimp and any other sea food but not lobster. They are very nice pictures though.
07-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Sorry Charlie but I just don't like lobster
So can I have Heinrich's share? I'll still send the box of frozen Possum Patties...if you desire?

Regards!
07-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Spent the month of June along the Maine coast; Lobster was going for $3.99 - $4.99 /pound...(soft shell). I had plenty of homemade rolls with the leftovers....

I'm ready to go back.
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Lobster is what folks in the NE have to settle for because they don't have Blue Crabs.
There have been interesting comments so far on this topic.My perfect lobster roll consists of fresh lobster meat mixed with some mayo and and a little bit of lettuce and of course a grilled buttery bun.If you don't like a lobster roll how about----lobster scampi--lobster stew--lobster bisque--lobster pie--baked stuffed lobster--lazy lobster---and even Lobster Mac and cheese.Just a nice lobster tail dipped in drawn butter is great.What's not to like? I venture to say that Magkelly will find something not to like.---charliezap
07-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Looks to me like I am being unfairly picked on. I had to go hunting through my archives to find a photo of the atrocity we were fed. Does this look like what Charlie is showing a photo of - noooooooooo. Nice big chunks of lobster though but that bun. What an atrocity.
The place was recommended in Wiscasset, MA and this is the reason we were so disappointed. I didn't even get to the greasy onion rings.
Hope you don't enjoy this, it really was awful. And Charlie, I'm going to hold you to your offer (but no chain restaurants please.)

Last edited by slowpez; 08-02-2012 at 10:10 AM.
07-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I venture to say that Magkelly will find something not to like.---charliezap
I is very picky about mah food, and I make no apologies for that. I ate some good food when I was growing up but my parents were real drinkers for years when I was a kid. They quit finally later, almost never drink now, but back then the Cocktail Hour was an every day event and real meals were sporadic except at the babysitter's. She only took care of me till I was old enough to be home alone. After that I was a latchkey kid. My parents had an unfortunate tendency to eschew the family dinner thing except on the weekends they actually had off and even then it wasn't a given I'd end up eating more than a bologna sandwich out of the cooler while they fished and more bar food later if they didn't have a catch to take home. Once in while we'd hit the one crab shack that I liked but mostly they'd just order me some wings or hand me a bag of chips and a Coke or whatever.

I grew up on a lot of Coke, cold bar food, canned ravioli and fast food. Dinner some nights was a bowl of popcorn a Coke and a candy bar. Or chicken wings or little hot dogs, whatever the local hotel pub was serving that night with the booze. I did my homework in the lobby sitting in a chair. By age 7 I'd been granted leave to stay home some nights and I'd learned to open a can and to be careful with the stove, but you can only eat so many cans of ravioli before you get sick of the stuff. I learned to cook out of the big Betty C cookbooks. It was sheer self defense. I'd have half starved if it was up to them, and along the way I did become a major foodie, yes.

I don't believe food should ever taste so-so. I loathe mediocre cooking and particularly bad fast food like the crap they sell at Burger King/ Steak and Shake etc. Once in a while I do Checkers, but if I eat junk it's usually at Mc Donald's. IMHO, with the exception of the Big Mac which is a thing with me, I think the burgers there are just okay, but I can't say I don't like their FF and I go there mostly for that. Same deal with Checkers. It's all about their fries. I get a real craving for FF once in a while. But I'd sooner barf then eat at most of the junk food chains here. There's this local place I like that makes real burgers, fresh Vidalia onion rings, and seasoned steak fries fried in peanut oil. That's my real idea of "junk" food. But I don't eat even good junk food too often. I like to eat well and watch the nutrients. I hardly saw a vegetable or a salad till I was 15 and working so I do try to eat better now. It's funny that I ended up cooking for my parents in a way. They've seen far more good meals out of me than I ever did growing up with them.

Frozen shellfish is gross. I agree there. I'm spoiled though. We've always lived near water and I still do so I can get good shrimp, crab, and fish cheap locally. I can have lobster anytime I want actually for less than $11 usually so long as I am willing to cook it. Maine or Gulf. We get all kinds of crab and shrimp here too, mostly not frozen except for the Asian shrimp and I can't eat those anyhow so I don't care. I don't eat much lobster though. Not my thing really. I get one for Dad once in a while. He likes it and isn't as squeamish about cooking it. I steal a bit off his tail or a claw and leave it at that. Lobster meat is a bit too rich for me and I'd rather have a pound of huge shrimp for that. They go further. I don't see the sense in buying one lobster when I can make 3 meals out of a container of fresh shrimp. I'll take a big pot of gumbo, jambalaya or shrimp scampi/alfredo over a straight lobster meal any day actually.

But yeah, people come to my house they eat GOOD, grin.
07-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Hi.
looking at it differently that we have a conception of "good food", please describe to me, what is the red-white unidentified mass? Portions of the Miss holds in his hand, was probably intended for one person?
Thanks for the explanation and regards!