Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Missed it by that much
Posted By: daacon, 07-18-2012, 11:38 AM

As we were approaching this area , we could see the train on the tracks. Last year we waited (a bunch of photographers) for about an hour to try and catch a train comming down the tracks. This year we arrived about 5 minutes to late. Damn it would really add to the picture having a train just coming into the frame. Oh well, take what ya can get eh

Click on image twice for larger view

Last edited by daacon; 07-18-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Views: 1,985
07-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man that is beautiful country, those mountains blow me away Dave, great P/P here

07-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I like the shot a lot Dave - the original better than the panorama because in the original the tracks lead you through the shot from the bottom left corner, whereas in the panorama they uncomfortably disappear in the middle of the frame.

I've noticed on a few of your recent landscapes that they seem to have a yellow tinge which I believe is your WB out of kilter. See the quick edit I made below changing nothing but the WB (if they look right on your monitor and you've PP'd them then I'd think maybe your monitor needs calibrating). I hope you don't mind, not a criticism but just because I'd like to see your beautiful landscapes presented at their best !

I've cooled the WB and now the sky & clouds have a natural grey colour, and the snow on the mountains a natural white, also the river and the gravel next to the rail tracks, without the overall yellowish tinge to the shot.

07-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Keep these images coming.This one would have to go into your 'Classic' gallery.And the only problem on waiting for another train is that it looks bloody to cold to do that.Sensational image never the less Dave!!
07-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, if we have to have a train in the frame, I will revert to an old trick we would use when I was a kid, Cokes were a nickle. I am going to imagine a steam engine coming into view from around yon bend, puffing lots of black smoke and steam. And while I am imagining I will put a couple of Eagles over the river fishing.
Either way still a great capture and Thanks For Sharing......Cliff

07-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
They don't get much (if any!) better than that shot Dave. It is perfect! Beautiful!
Regards!
Thanks Rupert appreciate the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Beautiful reminder of the times past during my university days at U of C !!
One really gets the feeling of the "grandeur" of the Canadian Rockies once one has been travelling through them!
Great shot !!
Is this the Bow River ??
Cheers.
JP
Thanks JP it is indeed the Bow River.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Looks great to me just as it is, Dave.
Jer
Thanks Buddy appreciate the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Man that is beautiful country, those mountains blow me away Dave, great P/P here
Thanks Bob they are breathtaking I agree.
07-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I like the shot a lot Dave - the original better than the panorama because in the original the tracks lead you through the shot from the bottom left corner, whereas in the panorama they uncomfortably disappear in the middle of the frame.

I've noticed on a few of your recent landscapes that they seem to have a yellow tinge which I believe is your WB out of kilter. See the quick edit I made below changing nothing but the WB (if they look right on your monitor and you've PP'd them then I'd think maybe your monitor needs calibrating). I hope you don't mind, not a criticism but just because I'd like to see your beautiful landscapes presented at their best !

I've cooled the WB and now the sky & clouds have a natural grey colour, and the snow on the mountains a natural white, also the river and the gravel next to the rail tracks, without the overall yellowish tinge to the shot.
Thanks Frofish - I am not the best in seeing colors at time (I have a red-green deficiency it's called - I can see red and green and the only place I have really noticed it , is in those color blind test) - I think the WB is fine. This particular shot was taken in Topaz Adjust using one of their pre-sets. This one was clarity and it likely adds the yellow tinge. I like the way you changed it and I will be looking at the next one I use in Topaz where I can adjust the sliders from the preset or do it back in Lightroom.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Keep these images coming.This one would have to go into your 'Classic' gallery.And the only problem on waiting for another train is that it looks bloody to cold to do that.Sensational image never the less Dave!!
haah thanks Barnster - that snow is quite a ways away the temperature was very comfortable (20C or 68f)

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Well, if we have to have a train in the frame, I will revert to an old trick we would use when I was a kid, Cokes were a nickle. I am going to imagine a steam engine coming into view from around yon bend, puffing lots of black smoke and steam. And while I am imagining I will put a couple of Eagles over the river fishing.
Either way still a great capture and Thanks For Sharing......Cliff
Damn usn ret I agree ! A boat with some fishermen , an eagle grabbing a fish from the water, a steam engine coming down the track, a bi-plane and finally perhaps a bear and a moose (might have to camp there a few years to see all that).
07-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Missed it

You could always photoshop in a canoe, or a hobo!

07-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
You could always photoshop in a canoe, or a hobo!
haha I'll leave it as is
07-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A train would have been icing on the cake. But you still have one heck of a piece of cake!
07-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
A train would have been icing on the cake. But you still have one heck of a piece of cake!
Thanks Spodeworld I appreciate you stopping by to comment.