Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Coyotes now in our region ! Eeeeek!
Posted By: jpzk, 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM

I was surprised to see coyotes near my place !
I had heard of some people seeing them more and more regularly around here but this was my first encounter.
One of them, the lighter one, sure looks big ! I thought they were dogs (large dogs) at first.

I know coyotes are a very common species "down South" in the USA but of course here farther North and East ... not so usual.

Views: 4,402
07-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #61
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry - I meant dingos don't hybridise with foxes, although it is not impossible (there have been dog/fox hybrids but I don't know if the hybrids are fertile). There has been quite a lot of dingo hybridisation with feral dogs, particularly in more settled areas. But it is interesting that the dingo retains its wolf-like pack structure and definite breeding season. Domestic traits may not persist in the wild populations. But there have been some very nasty dingo/dog hybrids. I photographed a massive on on a game camera last year. A neighbour "removed" him from the system a few weeks ago. He had killed a lot of sheep - one of those animals who just tore out the liver and went on the the next one.

07-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since this post has plenty of responses I will add mine as well. There is a bounty where I live for $50.00 dollars a coyote because their population has grown so much and they are destroying the foxes. Also, I have seen coyotes "bait" domestic dogs where they send one into where the dog is and antagonize it to play then run away getting the dog to follow them back to where the pack is waiting for dinner, not to mention that your chickens and such aren't safe if they are around. Might make for some good photos but then again some of the other stuff you shoot might go missing.