Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Coyotes now in our region ! Eeeeek!
Lens: DA*300/4 Camera: K7 ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: jpzk, 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM

I was surprised to see coyotes near my place !
I had heard of some people seeing them more and more regularly around here but this was my first encounter.
One of them, the lighter one, sure looks big ! I thought they were dogs (large dogs) at first.

I know coyotes are a very common species "down South" in the USA but of course here farther North and East ... not so usual.

Views: 4,404
07-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just few hours ago while having dinner with colleagues, one of them told us that she saw coyotes much more this year in the area where she live.
07-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Coyotes are very common throughout Ontario, Quebec and other provinces. They're shy and careful, and just not often seen, but they're always around unless you're right in a city.

The one in the back looks like it might be a coyote-dog hybrid, which is also becoming increasingly common - and concerning. Dog crosses behave differently, are less predictable, and less cautious about humans and human dwellings. They can also be quite large, like in the 60-80 lbs. range. A few like this have been found in the Rouge Valley in Scarborough, the fringes of Toronto.

I'd never be nervous about pure coyotes. They do not attack people, at all, ever (unless rabid, but that's exceedingly rare these days). Here, they don't even go after livestock. They keep a very respectful distance during the day, though we hear them every night. We have large family groups here, sometimes with close to 30 voices. This time of year we hear their cubs yipping, too. Even so, we free range our chickens all day, with zero incidents in over six years.

Anyway, very nice shot, and a nice sighting for you. Don't be worried about them though.
07-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I saw one in our yard once or twice but I think he's finally moved on. I didn't know what he was at first actually.

07-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Beautiful animals. I didn't know about them breeding with dogs so thanks philoslothical for that info.
07-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

We have tons of them up here in Maine. A lot of the northeastern coyotes are actually coyote-wolf hybrids resulting from the migration of wolves eastward through Canada and then southwards. The issue is that coyotes are legal (and encouraged more often than not) to be hunted. Wolves are not.

Much drama ensues in which neither side of the issue is really wrong.
07-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah they are more common than you would think, Alberta has their share. Great captures. I have managed a few shots, but in general there are very leary of people and even more so of photographers haha so well done.

07-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
The one in the back looks like it might be a coyote-dog hybrid, which is also becoming increasingly common - and concerning.
I agree it's a hybrid of some sort (with wolf or dog). Not usualy dangerous, except that case on Cape Breton Island a couple of years ago.
07-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a nice shot, as Dave said we do have our share of them in Alberta and I do see them often but never close enough for a decent shot. They are very skittish, probably due to hunting pressure.
07-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yep they are pretty common, aside from the ones out in Scarborough that may be dog crosses, there is also a group in High Park in Toronto and If I'm not mistaken along the don river as well.
The Scarborough ones got a rep for taking cats for dinner.
I'd worry more about the crosses, the pure coyote is far more likely to bolt as soon as they see you, the crosses will be far more aggressive
I'm always surprised by the variety of wildlife in toronto (we had foxes in my neighbourhood for a while too), various birds of prey (well fed on pigeons)
07-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Great shot. We obviously see lots of them out here but they are not easy to photograph.

As for danger, that can be a bit relative. All wild animals are dangerous to some extent so it is never wise to tempt fate foolishly. I would also be aware that coyotes are opportunistic hunters. They will take anything they think that they can easily take down. This not only includes mice, rabbits and other small animals of this nature but also cats and small dogs.

Of course the most dangerous thing to do with any wild animal, including coyotes, is to feed them. That encourages them to come around and it also reduces their natural cautiousness around humans. In our area there have been situations where people were actually chased and the animals had to be killed. I doubt the people being chased were actually being "hunted" in the classic sense, but the coyote was looking for a handout and was a bit peeved when it wasn't provided.

Now that you know they are around, keep your eyes open, you may see them again. Just remember what they are and don't try to be too friendly.
07-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Coyote confronts man doing yoga in Toronto?s Riverdale Park - thestar.com
07-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

just up the road from me actually. Sounds like this coyote is a guy getting conditioned by idiots feeding him. Could also be a cross breed from a dog as well, we have strays in the area as well occasionally
I've not seen a coyote in the area (despite walking a lot of the more wild parts with my dog) Saw the fox family we had last year several times (once when the dog was off leash and took off after it and led me on a merry chase - he herded it back over the rail line fence where it came from eventually)
07-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Just few hours ago while having dinner with colleagues, one of them told us that she saw coyotes much more this year in the area where she live.
This wouldn't surprise me then.
If you had them all along, they are likely to be part of the growing coyote community around your place.
Here ... not heard of very often.

JP
07-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If we could only get Toronto's coyotes to eat Toronto's raccoons . . . .