Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Shoe Shuffle
Lens: Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 Af Camera: K7 Photo Location: Redcliff ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: lamented bovine, 07-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Still playing around with HDR. If anyone has some tips with creating ghosting, that would be great. The effect I tried to acheive was to have my mates walk through while doing a timed exp, however I failed kind of, all I got was their feet I wanted to some bodies as well.

Thanks for looking.

Shane

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Views: 913
07-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea how you get the effect you wanted but, personally, I would be happy as heck with the results you achieved. Great shot.
07-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I have no idea how you get the effect you wanted but, personally, I would be happy as heck with the results you achieved. Great shot.
Thanks

Shane
07-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot, but go back and shoot it without the motion of the pedestrians, they spoil it in my opinion. It is a beautiful shot without the motion blur. I might even head over there and shoot it too. This is from out on the jetty.

07-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You have two options to remove the ghosting:

1) If you use Photomatix, and have the latest version, check the box that asks if you have ghosting when launching the program. You'll then be prompted to select areas where ghosting is a problem, and Photomatix will try to fix it for you. Mixed results in my experience.

2) The best and most reliable (but more tedious) way involves using layers. Take your input photos for the HDR without any people. Then take another with the people. Layer the people shot with the completed HDR and mask the people in by painting out parts of the HDR you don't want such that the underlying people can now be seen. Alternatively, select the input picture to your HDR process that best captures the people you want. Use layering to erase the HDR with the blurry, unwanted ghosts in that area so that only the people in the original photo can be seen. To make it work, you need an exposure that is very close to the exposure of the same area in the HDR, so I'd recommend at least 5 input photos into your HDR.
07-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Nice shot, but go back and shoot it without the motion of the pedestrians, they spoil it in my opinion. It is a beautiful shot without the motion blur. I might even head over there and shoot it too. This is from out on the jetty.
Thank you, you are right, however I am going through maddness and experimenting with HDR and motion blur at the moment, I might get it right and end up slightley twiswted in the process.

Again Thanks for the comment.

Shane
07-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
You have two options to remove the ghosting:

1) If you use Photomatix, and have the latest version, check the box that asks if you have ghosting when launching the program. You'll then be prompted to select areas where ghosting is a problem, and Photomatix will try to fix it for you. Mixed results in my experience.

2) The best and most reliable (but more tedious) way involves using layers. Take your input photos for the HDR without any people. Then take another with the people. Layer the people shot with the completed HDR and mask the people in by painting out parts of the HDR you don't want such that the underlying people can now be seen. Alternatively, select the input picture to your HDR process that best captures the people you want. Use layering to erase the HDR with the blurry, unwanted ghosts in that area so that only the people in the original photo can be seen. To make it work, you need an exposure that is very close to the exposure of the same area in the HDR, so I'd recommend at least 5 input photos into your HDR.

Great thanks for the tips, I am using photomatix. However, I was trying to get ghosting of my mates walking back and forth. All I got was thier feet, I wanted to get some more defined shape with the ghosting. I thought about off camera flash but I dont think that will work.

Thank you

Shane

07-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lamented bovine Quote
Great thanks for the tips, I am using photomatix. However, I was trying to get ghosting of my mates walking back and forth. All I got was thier feet, I wanted to get some more defined shape with the ghosting. I thought about off camera flash but I dont think that will work.

Thank you

Shane
Did you try layering a multiple exposure, or very slow shutter speed capture, with your HDR?
07-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did you try layering a multiple exposure, or very slow shutter speed capture, with your HDR?
Thanks. I shot 5 frames bracket. I did not even think about multiple exposure. I think that may work, and an extra frame ( multi exposure with ev comp on) and add that frame to HDR bracket?

Excellent Idea and tip.

Cheers
Shane
07-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lamented bovine Quote
Thanks. I shot 5 frames bracket. I did not even think about multiple exposure. I think that may work, and an extra frame ( multi exposure with ev comp on) and add that frame to HDR bracket?
My gut feel is that adding the multiple exposure to the HDR bracket wouldn't work, as that one frame would be too diluted in the HDR processing, but it's worth a try. Probably better to just use some reduced opacity blending of the multiple exposure onto your completed HDR. It will take some trial and error I'm sure but I think it would work. Best of luck!

Last edited by GeoJerry; 07-23-2012 at 09:55 PM.
07-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My gut feel is that adding the multiple exposure to the HDR bracket wouldn't work, as that one frame would be too diluted in the HDR processing, but it's worth a try. Probably better to just use some reduced opacity blending of the multiple exposure onto your completed HDR. It will take some trial and error I'm sure but I think it would work. Best of luck!

Thanks, we shall give it a go, if it fails back to drawing board, another work around, sooner or later a solution will eventuate. I can see what you mean with the post process, If I can get it in camera will save some time with the process if you know what I mean.

Cheers
Shane
07-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the dof and pp are fantastic... well done, dave m
07-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote