Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
birds in the grass
Lens: Pentax A 70-210 f4 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Melbourne ISO: 800 
Posted By: Cee Cee, 07-22-2012, 05:15 PM

from the weekend,.... some birds in the grass, Red-rumped parrot, Pink Galahs and a wasp in the wattle

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Views: 950
07-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those birds have such beautiful colors.
07-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CC, are you sure you don't live at the zoo, wonderful colored birds and captures here.
07-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful shots. The small parrot in #2 really stands out from the background. They are usually pretty hard to see in the grass. Good capture

07-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shots. For our overseas friends, the red rump parrot is mainly in the south east of the country and is fairly common. The galah is very common almost all over. We can get upwards of 50 in the park opposite our place and the galah is a bit of a stupid bird, especially drunk. Hence the term stop acting like a galah.
07-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The dandelions give the bird in the second shot some size reference. Are they as small as they look? Those feathers are so beautiful.
07-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Those birds have such beautiful colors.
thanks for looking and taking the time to comment Dave, cheers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
CC, are you sure you don't live at the zoo, wonderful colored birds and captures here.
thanks for the kind words Bob,... "live at the zoo", now that would be good, perhaps a tiger in the grass, cheers

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Wonderful shots. The small parrot in #2 really stands out from the background. They are usually pretty hard to see in the grass. Good capture
thanks for the comments Bruce, yes they can be hard to see, a couple of times now I've almost walked over the top of these guys and only seen them when they have flown away, I've learned to look down as well as up.

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Nice shots. For our overseas friends, the red rump parrot is mainly in the south east of the country and is fairly common. The galah is very common almost all over. We can get upwards of 50 in the park opposite our place and the galah is a bit of a stupid bird, especially drunk. Hence the term stop acting like a galah.
thanks for looking and the comments Trev, mind you Galahs aren't the only things to get a little stupid when they're drunk

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
The dandelions give the bird in the second shot some size reference. Are they as small as they look? Those feathers are so beautiful.
They are smaller than the Galahs for sure, beak to tip of tail about 8 or 9 inches, they can be hard to see, the females even more so (these shots are of a male) females have a plain olive colouring.

Last edited by Cee Cee; 07-24-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: spelling
07-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't have those guys in my yard. I'm jealous.---charliezap
07-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I don't have those guys in my yard. I'm jealous.---charliezap
hey Charlie thanks for looking, just to be clear these aren't actually in "my" yard, this is a local walking/bike track & park lands which follow the "Moonee Ponds Creek" I have access to this just a 100 yards or so away at the end of my street, I like to think of it as my backyard cheers.
07-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great pics and I really love number 2! I'm west oz and yesterday we had half a dozen black cockies arrive and will try to get some shots today. For any Aussies, I was given a great link to a flora and fauna database you can search by postcode or address to see exactly what is in your location: Atlas of Living Australia
07-23-2012, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the comments deaning, and thanks for the link, the site looks very interesting, I'll check it out tonight. Goodluck with the Black Cockies, one landed in the top of a neighbor's tree a few of weeks back, I had camera in hand 300m lens and all, but a bit far away to get a good shot, it was only there a minute squawked a couple of times then flew off, a missed opportunity for sure, I don't think they are very common down south.
cheers.