Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Botanical Curiosities
Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: La Jolla 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 07-23-2012, 08:18 PM

A macro shot of eucalyptus bark. Color enhanced but not by as much as you might think.

HDR of a majestic eucalyptus on hole 19 of the Torrey Pines Golf Course.

An unusual plant, does anyone know what it is? The leaves are hard and blade like growing radially out of the branches, without any stems. It doesn't appear to be a succulent but instead something more related to conifers.

Even more unusual. Here I tried to blend at about 50% each a regular shot with a version processed by Pentax's in-camera watercolor filter to see what would happen. Interesting. There might be some possibilities for this down the road. The effect works better if you look at it from a distance of a foot or more.

Views: 817
07-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like the lovely old eucalypt, the close up of the bark could almost be a watercolour and yes from a foot or more away the last is very effective.
07-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very nice colors on the money tree, very nice work on the others, especially the last. Nice job for sure.
07-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice effects. The colours on eucalyptus bark can be extraordinary especially when wet. I have one near me that normally looks dull and brown but in a certain light it simply glows. I have not been able to capture it as yet.

07-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

creative compositions... the macro of the bark is captivating.. be nice framed... dave m
07-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
An unusual plant, does anyone know what it is?
Maybe an Aeonium?
07-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the one of the bark. Love the smell of eucalyptus if it comes to that. Not sure about the last one but it will be interesting to see what else you come up with using this technique. Your post are fun and interesting to see. Keep them coming.

07-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
Like the lovely old eucalypt, the close up of the bark could almost be a watercolour and yes from a foot or more away the last is very effective.
Thanks... I've changed my recommendation now to three feet away. :-) A little too busy for me up close.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
very nice colors on the money tree, very nice work on the others, especially the last. Nice job for sure.
Thanks Bob. Money tree, that's it. Interesting that you liked the last! I'm pretty ambivalent about it but I think the technique has some potential.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Nice effects. The colours on eucalyptus bark can be extraordinary especially when wet. I have one near me that normally looks dull and brown but in a certain light it simply glows. I have not been able to capture it as yet.
Thanks Bruce. I could see a whole portfolio on just eucalyptus bark. It can be so colorful and variable and makes for some pleasing abstract designs.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
creative compositions... the macro of the bark is captivating.. be nice framed... dave m
Thanks Dave!

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Maybe an Aeonium?
Is that the same as a money tree?

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Love the one of the bark. Love the smell of eucalyptus if it comes to that. Not sure about the last one but it will be interesting to see what else you come up with using this technique. Your post are fun and interesting to see. Keep them coming.
Thanks for the nice words. Don't worry, I'll keep on trying, for me half the fun in photography is experimentation. Some work some don't, I post both. :-) I think leaves may be a bit too busy for this technique in the last pic. Probably simpler subjects would work better.

Last edited by GeoJerry; 07-24-2012 at 05:20 PM.
07-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Is that the same as a money tree?
No, and I just realized I didn't read your description carefully. So this is a tree? Maybe Monkey Puzzle tree (Araucaria).
07-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
No, and I just realized I didn't read your description carefully. So this is a tree? Maybe Monkey Puzzle tree (Araucaria).
Yes, what you're seeing in this picture is the tip of a branch, looking head on into the branch. No, not a monkey puzzle tree, I recognize those. I think Bob was right, it's a money tree... at least that sounds familiar.
07-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I get such a thrill out of looking at your work Jerry. Seriously great stuff! The bark abstract is pleasing... the HDR tree is fascinating... that last shot is awesome to view. I keep going back to the last shot... I love it!!!
07-25-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Well done - it works for me.
07-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I get such a thrill out of looking at your work Jerry. Seriously great stuff! The bark abstract is pleasing... the HDR tree is fascinating... that last shot is awesome to view. I keep going back to the last shot... I love it!!!
Wow thanks for the glowing comments! That last one seems like it works for some and not others (I'm not convinced myself :-)), but it's definitely a technique I want to explore some more. I rarely use the in-camera effects supplied by Pentax but I think now I'll try them all out in various combinations and see what happens. Experimenting is so much fiun!

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Well done - it works for me.
Appreciate it wildman, thanks for taking the time to check it out!