Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
the Falls@Great Falls, Montana
Camera: Kx, K5 Photo Location: Great Falls, MT. 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 07-26-2012, 10:16 PM

The Great Falls Portage presented Lewis and Clark with one of the most challenging ordeals of the expedition. On June 13, 1805, Lewis and a small advance party witnessed "the grandest sight" when they became the first white men to see the Great Falls of the Missouri River. Lewis commented that "from the reflection of the sun on the sprey or mist which arrises from these falls is a beautifull rainbow produced which adds not little to the beauty of this majestically grand senery". Despite their splendor the Great Falls presented much danger and hardship for the explorers. In one afternoon Lewis's path converged with a bear, a mountain cat or wolverine and three buffalo bulls; to Lewis it seemed that "all the beasts of the neighbourhood had made a league to distroy me, or that some fortune was disposed to amuse herself at my expence"
The falls have changed from those days, dams have been built covering much of the falls that Lewis spoke of, but we managed our own portage by land to take photos from different viewpoints traveling from the comfort of our air conditioned Jeep. Times have certainly changed, we didn't even see any mountain cats.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by Bob Harris; 07-27-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Views: 6,490
07-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

New backyard Bob, Another great series. How do you choose the next destination? A USA map and a hand full of darts? TFS, Keep the camera clicking.....Cliff
07-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
New backyard Bob, Another great series. How do you choose the next destination? A USA map and a hand full of darts? TFS, Keep the camera clicking.....Cliff
You are married, right Cliff?That should answer your question.
07-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
You are married, right Cliff?That should answer your question.
Point made! SWMBO!!

07-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That was our jumping off point on our trip to Alaska Bob. It rained the entire time we were at the falls so the photos look really bad. Thanks for showing me what I missed.
07-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful photos, Bob, and I love the background info. That adds so much to the enjoyment of these shots! Thank you for posting them!
07-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The falls look so cool and soothing Bob.I found a water song that sorta goes with it.Enjoy your adventure.--charliezap
07-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I spent 13 years commuting between Billings and Great Falls and these are some of the best images of the falls I've seen. You may want to try using a CPL as I think It would help on these bright water images.

07-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
That was our jumping off point on our trip to Alaska Bob. It rained the entire time we were at the falls so the photos look really bad. Thanks for showing me what I missed.
i remember you being there and then we didn't hear from you for months. We missed a couple of other falls because the road was closed for construction on one side, but happy to get the photos we did get. We camped at Dick's RV Park, easy in/out@ $30 night.
07-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Point made! SWMBO!!
Cliff, here is the newest Desert USA info on Searles/Trona/Amboy and DV in case you haven't seen it.
Desert Biomes by DesertUSA
07-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Beautiful photos, Bob, and I love the background info. That adds so much to the enjoyment of these shots! Thank you for posting them!
glad you enjoyed the thread Lori, lots of history up this way that we normally don't read about. TFL, Bob
07-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
The falls look so cool and soothing Bob.I found a water song that sorta goes with it.Enjoy your adventure.--charliezap
Johnny Cash - Five Feet High And Rising - YouTube
Charlie, looks like we better get to higher ground while we can. Just pulled into Cut Bank Montana, but we are camped above the river.
07-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I spent 13 years commuting between Billings and Great Falls and these are some of the best images of the falls I've seen. You may want to try using a CPL as I think It would help on these bright water images.
I used a Hoya ND X8 filter on these photos, the day was extremely bright and it did tone the images down quite a bit. I shot a few with a CPL with the K5 using a 43mm, will post the images of the dam and lower river. Thanks for the kind words on the falls, we really enjoyed our trip to the area and will stop in again when we leave Glacier on our way south.
07-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Cliff, here is the newest Desert USA info on Searles/Trona/Amboy and DV in case you haven't seen it.
Desert Biomes by DesertUSA
Bob, I have not seen this before. Very interesting info. Yes the desert can be is a very special place for both the living and non-living things............Thanks.....Cliff
07-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
here are a couple using the 43mm with a Hoya CPL of one of the dams/powerhouse and the other is viewing the Missouri as it flows downstream
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo