Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

First post: it's not macro season here, but...
Posted By: Marc Langille, 12-31-2006, 09:03 AM

Hey Everyone

I dug out a few photos for my first photo post, and several I've just never gotten to before the holidays. A couple have been posted before on another site, but thought I share some color for those of us living in the now brown or snowy northerrn hemisphere... 8-)

The first two are leafcutter bees, which do not produce honey, and don't live in colonies. They are the white-haired variety. Roughly 1" or 2.5cm long.

Next is the fairly common Black Swallowtail Butterfly, and then a Hover fly. The last photo was intentionally done to capture the beauty of the flower, and the fly was simply adding a little zing to the picture. I was handholding the flash from an extension cable to directly face the flower while I did the angle shot.

All shots taken with my trusty *ist DS and the FA* 200/4 macro lens attached. Shot in RAW and then used RSE or RSP to convert to JPEG.

I hope you enjoy!

Attached Images

Last edited by Marc Langille; 12-31-2006 at 09:30 AM. Reason: should have read - posted before "on another site"
Views: 3,253
01-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Hi Marc,

I have seen them before but they look just as good over here. Is your 200 macro M or A type? Whatever it is you sure know how to get the best out of it. Thanks for posting them, Heinrich
Thanks Heinrich!

I thought seeing some color from the northern hemisphere while our southerly cousins enjoy their warmer weather was a nice change from the norm.

Here's a link to the lens, courtesy of pentaximaging.com:
Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 200mm F4.0 ED (1:1 magnf) - FA - Macro - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax

This lens has an incredible minimum working distance - 11 inches from the front element! Even a little 1/2 inch long fly nearly fills the viewfinder...

Cheers,
Marc

01-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thanks Andrew...

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
Beautiful work, Marc! Wish I had your knack for the close-up work.
I appreciate the comments! I learned really fast about how unforgiving macro can be...

However, just picture a 6' 2.5" guy leaning over a tripod - some days mean a fairly stiff back... but I've persevered...

Cheers,
Marc
01-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thanks Photochop

QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
Very nice indeed! I've admired your work over at DPR. Thanks for sharing :-)

I appreciate your kind comments. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Marc
01-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
forgot to mention - picture #2...

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Ahh I want that lens :-/

Very well executed shots, the first 2 would be my favourites...
This is the one I use on my business cards. The image pops out because the background on the card is black...

Cheers,
Marc