Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wicked Weather
Lens: Sigma 17-70 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta 
Posted By: daacon, 07-28-2012, 03:05 PM

We spent all morning today putzing around the yard. Then shortly after lunch, the skies started to darken , some really loud thunder , a few bolts of lighting and some light rain started. We were done for the day luckily, A few minutes later this happened. Sure wish my K5 was not in the shop would have loved to capture this on video.

#1 It just started to hail a bit

#2 Then without warning it came down with in buckets , fast and hard and plentiful so hard it was bouching off the grass.

#3 and unfortuantley we only had one car in the garage ..... still have not looked , don't want to

#4 The hail and water was comming so fast in the middle of the frame is a sewer drainage. It had no chance to keep pace

#5 And the deck after. The plants took a severe beating .....not sure if they will survive.

The whole thing lasted maybe 10 minutes , sunny skies now.
Views: 1,499
07-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great storm captures!

Storms around here have been getting more severe also - not too often do we see hail like that though.
07-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, that was a real frog strangler! As Bob Harris showed us, we get an occasional one of them ourselves here in Big Sky Country. We haven't had one this far south yet (fingers crossed) but then summer isn't over yet.
07-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave doesn't need me up there with the weather we had last night, he has gotten his share for sure. I just hope his storms don't come down and get us here in Billings or Cutbank, Montana. Dave, is it really ever Summer in Alberta for the full 3 months?

07-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Looks like the hail shouldn't have done much damage, looks to be about Pea sized. Man I wish we could get some rain around here! I think that I'd take some of that hail to get some rain with it. It keeps threatening here but it seems that it's only a joke when it does. We got a five minute shower late this afternoon, but not enough to really shake a stick at.
07-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You have to love Alberta. Never kmow what the weather is going to do hour by hour. No dints in the car?? JIMBO
07-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm kind of jealous. Everyone's always posting pictures of cool and bizarre bugs and weather. We never get any of that kind of stuff out here. I think I can remember hail about 5 times since the 1960's, and maybe about the same for lightning bolts. On the rare occasion we do get lightning, I never see the bolts, just flashes.

07-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series of shots that show a story. Well done.
07-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Super captures Dave. Sure hope there are no dents in the car. Is putzing really a word?
07-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Awesome shots Dave.The weather lately has been getting more extreme.---charliezap
07-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Is putzing really a word?

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Is putzing really a word?
Sure it is! I do it all of the time!
07-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Great storm captures!
Storms around here have been getting more severe also - not too often do we see hail like that though.
Thanks Stromtech we don't get them this bad too often here thank goodness.

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Wow, that was a real frog strangler! As Bob Harris showed us, we get an occasional one of them ourselves here in Big Sky Country. We haven't had one this far south yet (fingers crossed) but then summer isn't over yet.
ha never heard that expression wtdwgn makes perfect sense

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Dave doesn't need me up there with the weather we had last night, he has gotten his share for sure. I just hope his storms don't come down and get us here in Billings or Cutbank, Montana. Dave, is it really ever Summer in Alberta for the full 3 months?
Well Bob we usually have the full gamut of weather here in the summer. The other seasons like to pop in once in a while

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Looks like the hail shouldn't have done much damage, looks to be about Pea sized. Man I wish we could get some rain around here! I think that I'd take some of that hail to get some rain with it. It keeps threatening here but it seems that it's only a joke when it does. We got a five minute shower late this afternoon, but not enough to really shake a stick at.
You are correct jimH - Car and structures were fine , hanging baskets of flowers were shredded but most look like they will survive.
07-30-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
You have to love Alberta. Never kmow what the weather is going to do hour by hour. No dints in the car?? JIMBO
Car was fine Jim ,not much damage other than a few plants

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I'm kind of jealous. Everyone's always posting pictures of cool and bizarre bugs and weather. We never get any of that kind of stuff out here. I think I can remember hail about 5 times since the 1960's, and maybe about the same for lightning bolts. On the rare occasion we do get lightning, I never see the bolts, just flashes.
haha careful what you wish for Jerry

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Great series of shots that show a story. Well done.
Thanks Em appreciate you stopping by

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Super captures Dave. Sure hope there are no dents in the car. Is putzing really a word?
Thanks Susan car came out fine and yes I putz around all the time
07-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Awesome shots Dave.The weather lately has been getting more extreme.---charliezap
Thanks Charlie I would have to agree with that statement,

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Sure it is! I do it all of the time!
Agree !
07-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

we just had a similar saturday.. real gully gusher as we call it.... ugh... dave m