Second portrait outing
Lens: Pentax-A 35-105 Camera: Pentax K-x ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s 
Posted By: GibbyTheMole, 07-31-2012, 05:16 AM

A few from portrait shoot #2:

Views: 718
07-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, let me qualify my remarks by explaining that I tend to be pretty conventional/traditional/old-fashioned in my tastes. I like the last one. No blown highlights, real white, real black, skin smoothed but not plastic. Nice work.
I agree that the third one is more dramatic than your previous post of that young man - but you've smoothed the skin too much, IMO.
Number two is probably OK for most people, but I think there's too much blown highlight, popular in Vogue these days, but I don't like it.
Number one - even more blown highlight. And I'm an old fuddy-duddy - I RARELY like selective coloration.
But that's just me. Are your CLIENTS happy? I don't pay you - worry about THEM!
Thanks for sharing.
08-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Jford:

Clients are very happy. All of those shots I provided to them in several different "flavors", from unretouched to heavily retouched. That way they can pick & print the ones they like at their convenience. All were originally exposed properly out of the camera and had fx applied in post, which is responsible for the blown highlight look. I'd imagine you might like the original shots more.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
08-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They look pretty good to me albeit I am no professional and if the client is happy then it's a win.

08-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
They look pretty good to me albeit I am no professional and if the client is happy then it's a win.
Thanks much. This is only the second time I've taken "portrait" type photos, so I'm no professional, either. But I'm working at it. ;-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 08-01-2012 at 08:32 AM.