Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Quack!!!
Posted By: Peter Zack, 01-27-2008, 05:23 PM

So there I was, treading through the snow with camera in tow. Looking for that great birding spot to get some shots. Beautiful day, -19C with a wind chill around -25C. I trudge through the brush and come to a clearing. Voila! there they are! Ducks in a little frozen pond with some open water.

Actually this spot was not far off the road and it was too damn cold to stay out for more than 30 minutes with the clothing I had on. Gotta get better shooting gloves. This pond had about 300 ducks in it (no kidding).

All with Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and AF 1.7TC

Name:  IMGP6355 ducks 1.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  IMGP6389 ducks 3.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  39.1 KB

Not a great shot but this pond was full. Trying to get a few shots of them flying gives me a new appreciation of the great shots Tom posts.
Name:  IMGP6371.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  103.5 KB

And on the way home i just had to stop near the PEI bridge:
Name:  IMGP6394 Conf bridge.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  27.9 KB

Name:  IMGP6403 lighthouse New 8x10 2.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  18.7 KB

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-27-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Views: 3,111
01-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots Peter The ducks sitting on the ice brings a smile to my face, there is a sense of humour to it. Nice sunset too.

01-28-2008, 06:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

That's cold Peter! The ducks look remarkably comfortable though. Perhaps you need duck feather gloves? Great shots and nice colours. I especially like the perspective and colours of the lighthouse one.

Paul
01-28-2008, 06:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Very nice!

Your F1.7 doesn't appear to affect IQ at all!

And I agree about the lighthouse shot. Very well captured. We inlanders (St. Lawrence River/Great Lakes region)have lighthouses, too, although not as many of the old ones as we used to have, unfortunately. They are disappearing at a steady rate having been replaced by new automated featureless pillars of concrete.

An interesting tidbit concerning ducks, gulls, and some other species- they have the ability to stop the flow of blood to their feet. Without this feature, they could not survive such extreme cold as the temperature of their blood (circulating through their feet) would drop to such a low level that they would die within a very short time. Neat, huh?
01-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
they have the ability to stop the flow of blood to their feet. Without this feature, they could not survive such extreme cold as the temperature of their blood (circulating through their feet) would drop to such a low level that they would die within a very short time. Neat, huh
My feet do that too when I step into the North Sea

01-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Wow, really powerful images.

The sunset shot is well executed - simple yet effective.

The ducks looke so full of life.

Thanks for sharing these shots
Thanks James. Those ducks were having fun. Next time I'll bring some food for them and see what a ruckus I can create/shoot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Your F1.7 doesn't appear to affect IQ at all!

And I agree about the lighthouse shot. Very well captured. We inlanders (St. Lawrence River/Great Lakes region)have lighthouses, too, although not as many of the old ones as we used to have, unfortunately. They are disappearing at a steady rate having been replaced by new automated featureless pillars of concrete.

An interesting tidbit concerning ducks, gulls, and some other species- they have the ability to stop the flow of blood to their feet. Without this feature, they could not survive such extreme cold as the temperature of their blood (circulating through their feet) would drop to such a low level that they would die within a very short time. Neat, huh?
Thanks Tom. Interesting about the blood flow. I just couldn't figure out how they could take the cold water. I saw a few with little frozen pelts of water on their back. The air was cold enough to almost freeze the water instantly.

Since you shooting in some fairly severe conditions, what sort of gloves do you use? I had a touch of frostbite years ago in Labrador and my hands have a hard time with these temps.

First time using the TC with this lens and I'm very pleased with the IQ as well. This unit should be re introduced.
01-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
That's cold Peter! The ducks look remarkably comfortable though. Perhaps you need duck feather gloves? Great shots and nice colours. I especially like the perspective and colours of the lighthouse one.

Paul
That's it Paul! I'll cover myself in feathers!! You can send letters and postcards to the Dartmouth institute for the psychologically disturbed.

Thanks for having a look and the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Nice shots Peter The ducks sitting on the ice brings a smile to my face, there is a sense of humour to it. Nice sunset too.
I thought so as well. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-28-2008 at 09:13 AM.
01-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gloves

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Thanks James. Those ducks were having fun. Next time I'll bring some food for them and see what a ruckus I can create/shoot.

Thanks Tom. Interesting about the blood flow. I just couldn't figure out how they could take the cold water. I saw a few with little frozen pelts of water on their back. The air was cold enough to almost freeze the water instantly.

Since you shooting in some fairly severe conditions, what sort of gloves do you use? I had a touch of frostbite years ago in Labrador and my hands have a hard time with these temps.

First time using the TC with this lens and I'm very pleased with the IQ as well. This unit should be re introduced.
Peter, I have the same problem you do, got my hands frost bit a long time ago and they haven't been the same since. I use a good quality gortex ski glove with an inner layer of thin silk gloves. I use the big bulky ski gloves until I'm going to shoot then remove them, using the silk liners. The silk liners are suprisingly warm and thin enough and supple enough for everything except changing batteries or cards. I just make sure I don't have to do those operations out in the field.

NaCl(but I don't leave the big ski gloves off for too long)H2O

01-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Great idea Salty. I often use those mitts that have a wool glove with the fingertips cut off and the mitt part flips open/closed to expose the fingers for more delicate work. Adding those liners would solve the issue of the finger tips getting too cold.

Off to the Ski shop for more stuff!!

Peter(I need a truck for all the camera extra parts I am starting to carry)Zack
01-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Great shots Peter. Well worth the effort.
The old saying may apply when I read your description of the conditions:
"You dont have to be mad to be a good photographer, but it helps!"
01-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Thanks Bramela, Yes a little madness can be an asset at times!

BTW I put the light house and the duck pair in the PPG and got shot down in less than 24 hours. Guess I'll have to buy some more Pentax brand glass to get any more in the gallery!
01-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Peter,
I love the first one of the ducks, it's really colorful and the reflections are just as colorful. The lighthouse and the bridge shots are well done too.. a great series, it looks like you had a fun day.
01-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #27

Very nice!

Especially like #5. Also like the ducks reflection in #2.

Well done!