Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Five hours searching and no buck.
Posted By: Tom Lusk, 01-27-2008, 06:02 PM

I don't know how many miles I covered today searching for a buck, but only found a few does. They are still looking healthy. This one seems to have found something to eat:

Looks like things are getting tough; lots of snow cover and poor mast crop last fall. I hope I don't start finding corpses...

I don't know what a beaver is doing out and about this time of year:

And this poor tree has been girdled by rabbits. The black specks are springtails (sometimes called snow fleas, really interesting minute creatures that show up on snow by the gazillions on sunny late winter days). :

A milkweed plant that looked kind of neat as the sun began to set:

All taken with my FA*300.
Views: 2,313
01-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tom are you putting out sugar pops to get the deer in close again????
Great shot.

Very indecisive beaver, that one.....

I liked you milkweed shot. The colors this time of year are subtle, earthy and well contrasted to the background. One of my favorite colors is dried grasses sticking through the snow....then too there is the intensely red dogwood bush or the vine maple or the.......

Great time of the year.

Thanks for posting.

01-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did some checking...

The area that I concentrate my deer efforts in has been recently opened for hunting to some native Americans in an effort to reduce the deer population, which has been determined to be an over-population.

I hope they are not shooting bucks, though, as that would not make any sense. And we all know governments don't make senseless decisions, don't we?

Pat- in this area, the deer will usually not shed the antlers for another 3 weeks or so based on my experience. Also, bucks that have shed will have the open wounds where the antlers had been and usually this is visible for a while.

As for beaver not being too bright? That is a fact. I've seen trees up to three feet in diameter that they have chewed 3/4 of the way through before deciding to fell the one next to it. I appreciate the extra firewood.

Thanks for all the feedback.
01-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The one of the deer is wonderful. It's almost as if the deer was posed just fro you.
01-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Tom,
That doe shot is really nice. Your right about the bucks being hard to find. I have seen only a few and they are coming out just before dark and just past my ISO time--just can't bear to shoot a big buck at iso 1600. They just look so nice at iso 200. Besides that my PPing for noise is really bad.

01-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sharp and interesting images Tom. The first is amazing, but the last is captivating in its own way.

Paul